Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Sean's Recent Shoot: Panos Galore

Pepper, schmepper, that looks like your stomach. ;-)) You swallowed it.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    Image:
    Did I just see this in the Pocket Wizard contest on FB?
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Did I just see this in the Pocket Wizard contest on FB?
    I haven't entered it in anything. If you did, it wasn't me. If you can find it, send me a link so I can make sure it isn't mine. ;-)

Sean's Recent Shoot: Bell Peppers

My mistake. The one I saw was with three peppers. Sorry!
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

I haven't updated this thread in a while, so I thought I would after doing two separate maternity shoots (of the same couple) over the last couple of weekends.

For the first, I used a white backdrop that was quite inexpensive over at Amazon a while back. I used to lightstands and a 3 section crossbar to hold up the white background. Other lighting details can be see in the flickr captions.

We shot the second session the following weekend. The location is a property close to my home (basically a stone's throw from where I live). The city has been threatening to tear it down because it's been condemned for a while now, but the property owner is doing what he can to save the house. I'm glad he's been successful so far - the house and its barn are in this gorgeous, dilapidated state that make for interesting pictures (in my opinion). It was sprinkling rain all day, but we managed to squeeze in about 2 hours of good shooting when the clouds cleared for a bit.

Love them all Sean
    Mark

Sean's Recent Shoot: Bobbi Jo Maternity

That IS a really cool location. Hopefully he can save it.

I've always loved your use of shadow. This set is no exception. Good work.

Well, it's been awhile since I updated this thread, but I thought my shoot last night provided some good material for it...

I set up a shoot with a young lady whom I had never worked with before. She wanted some shots to fill out her portfolio, and I was wanting to test out a new piece of equipment, the LightBlaster. We planned a session for yesterday evening.

The shoot was scheduled for 7:30pm - or right at sunset. I knew that we wouldn't have much time to shoot because of the quickly diminishing light levels, but I thought 7:30 would be the best overall time for testing the LightBlaster in outdoor conditions. The LightBlaster allows you to project film slides (or transparency prints) onto any surface using a flash, the Blaster, a slide, and a lens. As you can only get so much power from a shoe-mount flash, it's a little less useful during the daytime.

I arrived at the location quite early in order to have everything set up and tested before the model arrived. I got everything set up well ahead of time. I decided that the first slide we'd try out was the flaming dragon - it just looked cool. ;-)

Unfortunately, the model never made it - a prior engagement (that was supposed to be finished well before shooting time) ran longer than expected. I decided to shoot some self-portraits before packing up. As the location is near a park, I decided I'd offer to shoot the next person that walked by. That's when a family of four came within hailing distance - Jason, his wife and two kids. They said "hi," and I convinced Jason to be my stand-in for a few shots before packing everything up.

I shot about a dozen frames. The light was getting so dark that I was having trouble focusing on him in the last few shots we took (and I forgot to bring my flashlight to aid in focusing). Keep in mind, Jason has no idea an image is being projected behind him. It's especially neat that his confident pose and expression fit perfectly with the background - and he never knew it was there!

After getting a couple of shots that I really liked, I took the camera over to Jason and said, "Buddy, I think these look really cool. What do you think?"

He said, "Whoa," then looks back toward the wall, then at me, and says, "...that's cool! How'd you do that?"

I had fun showing him how it was created. He (and his wife) were quite amazed.

Here's a shot of me right before the family got there:

Fun with the LightBlaster by budrowilson, on Flickr

And here's the shot of Jason that I liked:

Jason and the LightBlaster by budrowilson, on Flickr

Here's the setup picture I took with my phone to show the model where I was set up (before we knew she wasn't going to make it):

When things don't go as planned, sometimes you just have to make the best of it. And sometimes, making the best of things turns out alright. ;-)

Re: Sean's Recent Shoot: Jason and the LightBlaster

Sean, that's rad.

I saw that Von Wong was giving one of those away not too long ago.. And I actually thought of you because of your DIY attempts however long ago that was.

How many slides do you have? Overall it looks great, obviously. Your impressions? Was that a gelled transparent slide or did you get the image printed that way?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    How many slides do you have?
    I've got literally hundreds of 35mm slides from teaching - all sorts of anatomy, histology (which should make for some pretty cool patterns), etc., from the days before digital projectors and PowerPoint. Think I may just have to pick up a Light Blaster and have a play...

Thanks for the find, Sean!