Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't recommend Canon Canada for repairs!!!

Re: Can't recommend Canon Canada for repairs!!!

<div>

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Ask Canon to escalate the matter. Ask Canon how many technician-hours have been spent on your camera. If the number is lower than perhaps four hours for every work day that it's been on the bench, ask them why it's getting so little attention. It is possible that your camera has had to go from group to group to group, potentially causing some queueing delays along the way.

Believe me I asked all those questions and more. I called twice today, once in the mourning and just a few minutes ago (4:00 p.m.) and guess what same old answer: we don't know what stage it's at and when it will be fixed. We'll put a rush on it. Ah, wow, a Rush it should have been rushed when I first called.

Next each time I call I ask a question what is the usual turn around time and each time they reply 2 weeks to 3 weeks MAX!

Well hello my camera has been there for nearly a month.

I not looking for sympathy I just stating the facts.

Thanks everyone for took the time to read and comment my concern.

</div>

Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

I've had three experiences with Canon Canada for servicing. The second time was really straight forward with a repair / replacement of a broken hot shoe for a 580 EX flash. They stated around 10 business days for a turnaround and got it done in half the time. Flash was fine with an additional 30 or 90 day warranty.

Second time was when they contacted me to inform me of the free update to the 5D to fix the mirror problem. Went smoothly as silk with free shipment, pre-arranged authorization numbers, and everything else. Time of repairs was quoted as around 20 business days and it was back after about a week and a half.

The first time wasn't so quick. I was a early purchaser of the 24-105mm F4L IS zoom lens, the one that had the flare problem in the early serial numbers. I was totally disappointed with the problem but was pleased with the recall to fix the problem. I didn't want to part with the lens but sent it in for the free fix. I sent in the lens in the original box, without the lens hood or leather pouch to save weight for shipment. I sent it off sometime in September if I remember correctly and heard NOTHING for a long time. I was starting to get upset after it had passed two months and was about to call or send a letter of concern. Well, just before New Year, a courier package arrived. My lens had returned! But it was not my lens! It was a BRAND NEW one, complete in box so I ended up with a spare lens hood and leather pouch. I suspect they were going to update the lens but ran out of time, had no resources, etc so they ended up giving me a brand new lens.

So, kind of a mixed bag.

<div class="ForumPostButtons"]<span>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span>icanon<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span>I can understand your frustration. I have included an email address for Chuck Westfall at Canon. You may want to provide him with a condensed history of your situation. He should be able to help you or get you connected to the right person.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]cwestfall@cusa.canon.com<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]My history with the Canon Express Service Center in Irvine CA has been much different. I walk-in with my gear - lens, bodies, etc., and have never waited more than 3 day to get a call for pick-up. When I drop off my items they give me a work order number through which I can track the progress of the repairs on-line. Usually takes a day for them to start work and it is completed on the second or third workday.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] They have repaired dropped lens, vignette issues, mirror issues, and focus issues, etc. over the last 20 years for me.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]Hope Chuck can light a fire on your issue.<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 4.1pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]Bob<o></o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"]
    </div>

Thanks Bob

Just sent Chuck an email. I'll keep everyone informed as soon I hear something.

Harold

Canon 5DMII, 30D 17-40 L f/4.0, 24-70L f2.8, 70-200L IS f2.8, 400L f4.0-5.6, 24 tilt shift, 2x 600ex-RT

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    <div class="ForumPostButtons"]<span>
    <p class="MsoNormal"]
    <p class="MsoNormal"]<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]
    <span style="font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman';"]My history with the Canon Express Service Center in Irvine CA has been much different. I walk-in with my gear - lens, bodies, etc., and have never waited more than 3 day to get a call for pick-up. When I drop off my items they give me a work order number through which I can track the progress of the repairs on-line. Usually takes a day for them to start work and it is completed on the second or third workday.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"] They have repaired dropped lens, vignette issues, mirror issues, and focus issues, etc. over the last 20 years for me.
    </div>
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

My experience with Irvine has been overwhelmingly good. The only 'problem' I've ever had was when they said that they would do a courtesy cleaning and it came back with very visible Kleenex (my fault, which is why I sent it back) particles inside the lens, and I sent it back again, and they said that this time they were going to charge me. After I talked to a supervisor, and said that I thought they should cover the second cleaning because the courtesy cleaning the first time wasn't actually a cleaning, they came to see it my way, and no problems. In hindsight, i was being kind of a jerk about it, but... well, if they offer it, they should do what they said.

anyway, the actual repair facility, absolutely great overall.

Bob, can you recommend a contact? I know that when I contact them through the Internet, it's sometimes a problem to get the guy to understand that there's actually a problem. I.e., "it's not a focusing calibration problem, just stop down to increase your depth of field." how do you say "idiot" in Canonese?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin

Bob, can you recommend a contact? I know that when I contact them through the Internet, it's sometimes a problem to get the guy to understand that there's actually a problem.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Colin

I do not have a specific persion, but you can call the Irvine office at (949) 753-4200 or Fax them at(949) 753-4239 and ask to speak to a technical support person.

Bob

Some good news.

I called this mourning and still the repair rep. said to me that she they will try and will send a memo to the supervisor. I called back the main office phone number and asked to speak to the supervisor of the dept.,Guess what the supervisor was on vacation, arghh. I immediately called back and asked who else was in charge and finally I got this person who completely agreed with me and that he'd look into the matter and will definitely will call back to let me know.

Later today I received a call from him and he told me my camera had a on/off switch short all is repaired and was shipped back to the store via over night delivery. So tomorrow my baby is back. Finally...

A short in the on/off switch...wow, that's quite unfortunate. I'm glad you're taking the brunt of that 3% defect rate at Canon so all my stuff turns out great...

:-)

(By the way, I just made that number up. I have no idea what that would be realistically speaking...)

Sean your probably right about the 3% that you made up and I'm most likely one of them. lol

Just to let everyone know I finally got back my 5DMII, yes, today. My baby is back at home where it belongs.