Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Accent on quality in PHOTOS instead of quality of EQUIPMENT?

Re: Accent on quality in PHOTOS instead of quality of EQUIPMENT?

Quote Originally Posted by doggiedoc

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    I find your refusal to provide constructive criticism of this thread disturbing [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

My skills lean toward sarcasm as apposed to criticism. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

You guys are killin me---[:P]
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    I find your refusal to provide constructive criticism of this thread disturbing [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

My skills lean toward sarcasm as apposed to criticism. [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR:both;"]</div>

You guys are killin me---[img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]

Allow me to be critical of my own grammar. The use of "as apposed" is incorrect. Using "rather than" would be more proper. [:^)]

Allow me to be critical of my own grammar. The use of "as apposed" is incorrect. Using "rather than" would be more proper.

Allow me to be critical of your criticality. "As apposed" is not only grammatically incorrect, it is alsosemantically incorrect. "Apposed" would mean 'next to' whereas I believe you intended to use the phrase, "As opposed," meaning 'in opposition to."

[8-|]

I think the "noise" coming from this thread is adequate and the "highlights" are properly "exposed"! Maybe the OP should try a "warming filter"!

LOL! See, maybe I should just stick to nice and AWESOME!! [:P]

Denise

John, I cheerfully yield.

Denise, you are cool!

I know I fall into the category that the OP is talking about. My assignment postings look a lot worse than that what I hoped, I thought they looked OK on my monitor. I loaded them onto Flickr and the full size shots look better there, oh welllive and learn. I'm not going to edit my assignment posts.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53112139@N08/5174601194/in/photostream/

I blazed away 500 shots at a friends wedding last weekend. Two weeks before the eventI asked the bride to ask the Pro if she minded that I was clicking away behind her and it was all good. I'm probably only happy with about 10% of my shots, but I learnt a hell of a lot. The Pro who only had primes and no wide primes, had to get a lend of my 24-70 to do the wide shots, so I was glad I dropped the coin on that lens for everyones sake. (But I sure did miss it when it was in her hands)

I love this site and will soon post some pics for CC and please let the comments rain down upon me. But for now I'm just snapping away,experimenting atdifferent aperatures and mucking around with lighting and trying to learn how to use CS5.

My shoulders are big enough and I'm pretty sure the site is big enough for all opinions(including OP's) and ability levels.

As an aside I have mentioned previously, Ilook onlygood ina dim,blurry, rustic style which luckilyequates very nicely and awesomely with my pictures and myability level.[H]

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Steve U

I know I fall into the category that the OP is talking about. My assignment postings look a lot worse than that what I hoped, I thought they looked OK on my monitor. I loaded them onto Flickr and the full size shots look better there, oh welllive and learn. I'm not going to edit my assignment posts.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/53112139@N08/5174601194/in/photostream/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/53112139@N08/5174601194/in/photostream/[/url]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

That's a first I've heard that.

Usually it's the other way around and your pictures look better on you computer before you upload them to a Image host such as Flickr.
    When you have your picture on your computer it is your image editing software and or your monitor that is rendering the colors / image data. When you are viewing them with a web browser it is the web browser that is doing the rendering.
    So If your picture is looking better to your eyes after you upload it to an image host and view it via a web browser, I would take a look at your software configuration and the color profile and color space it is using. I would also look at your color management, and monitor properties and calibration.

BTW, That is a pretty flower. Don't know much about flowers, what kind is that?

<div>

Hey, clemmb, believe me, there is no need to takepersonallyeverything I write, nor feel defensive. My opinions are strong, but my intentions are gentle.[]

Anybody has the right to their opinions, and - what's more - not everybody needs to agree with my opinions or anybody else's. I, for one, have no problems with people like Bob, who can't find any sense at all in what I posted originally. I don't mind to be laughed at, either. But I truly prefer a discussion as opposed to simply stating my 'manifesto' without getting any serious feedback.

Now, to sort out some misunderstandings.

I am not saying that we should stop talking about the equipment. All I am saying is that as great as Canon equipment is, it is meaningless if we don't use it to create interesting photographs with it. Therefore, I think it is logical to acquire some skills besides acquiring all possible new models of cameras and lenses. (Shoot! Another mistake on my part - now I will hear protests from all those who have more than one lens!).

I am not saying that all 'awesome' and 'cool' comments should disappear. I am simply suggesting, that we can help beginners to learn better from their mistakes if we point those mistakes out and perhaps suggest some remedy.

After all, if nobody is interested, I will certainly refrain from pushing for any kind of expansion to this forum's profile. Sometimes, even the most helpful intentions are taken as a threat to the 'establishment', so I will just shut up. Perhaps that way I will not make any more enemies... Cool? [sarcasm][H]
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter

<div>

Hey, clemmb, believe me, there is no need to takepersonallyeverything I write, nor feel defensive. My opinions are strong, but my intentions are gentle.[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Anybody has the right to their opinions, and - what's more - not everybody needs to agree with my opinions or anybody else's. I, for one, have no problems with people like Bob, who can't find any sense at all in what I posted originally. I don't mind to be laughed at, either. But I truly prefer a discussion as opposed to simply stating my 'manifesto' without getting any serious feedback.

Now, to sort out some misunderstandings.

I am not saying that we should stop talking about the equipment. All I am saying is that as great as Canon equipment is, it is meaningless if we don't use it to create interesting photographs with it. Therefore, I think it is logical to acquire some skills besides acquiring all possible new models of cameras and lenses. (Shoot! Another mistake on my part - now I will hear protests from all those who have more than one lens!).

I am not saying that all 'awesome' and 'cool' comments should disappear. I am simply suggesting, that we can help beginners to learn better from their mistakes if we point those mistakes out and perhaps suggest some remedy.

After all, if nobody is interested, I will certainly refrain from pushing for any kind of expansion to this forum's profile. Sometimes, even the most helpful intentions are taken as a threat to the 'establishment', so I will just shut up. Perhaps that way I will not make any more enemies... Cool? [sarcasm][img]/emoticons/emotion-11.gif[/img]
    </div>
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Firestarter,

Again, my apologies for taking offense. As I said, I am looking forward to learning from your experience as well. It also made for a great thread from those with more humor and wit than me.

Mark
    Mark

It is nice to see that everyone is so civil in these forums.

@Firestarter, I understand where you are coming from, having studied photography in college as an art form. But, TDP offers something for everyone, and the appeal of discussing equipment is just one facet of photography. The appeal extends beyond photography actually, and there