Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash Review

Re: Canon 430EX II Speedlite Flash Review

Simply another fantastic review! Thanks again, Bryan!

I own a 430EX II at this moment. I think it is worth it to upgrade to a 580EX II sometime in the future after I"upgrade" myself withbouncing and other flash techniques...I think just the more convenient control and the extra flexibility of rotation is worth the extra $ to get a 580EX II; I'm having trouble using the recessed buttons too, and my hands and fingers are among the smallest...

Max - You are correct. My brain must have skipped a track on that one.

I Chase Light - That is an article I would like to do some day. I'll put it on the todo list.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Hopefully you found the review useful.

I agree that the head rotation on the 430ex II is a problem when shooting in portrait position. If this is necessary in the design of the unit, why can't Canon have it the other way around - 180 clockwise and 90 anticlockwise.

I am waiting for a plastic box diffuser in the mail, as we speak, to substitute for bounce flash. In the meanwhile I have cut up a white plastic bottle (bathroom cleaner) to about 3" square with an extra little bit on the bottom. I attach it to the 430 with the head at 75degrees vertical with a rubber band around the little bit on the bottom. It looks a little daggy, but it gives beautiful results.

In essence I have a detachable 3" square diffuser, bigger and better than the retractable one on the 580.