Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with walkaround lens - Canon EF 28-135mm / EF-S 18-200mm

Re: Help with walkaround lens - Canon EF 28-135mm / EF-S 18-200mm

As I mentioned earlier, I have the EFS 15-85 and do like it a lot. I do take a lot of pictures between 15 and 28 mm (I also own a 1.6x crop camera, such as yourself), so I agree,you shouldbe concerned about a lens on a 1.6x crop body that doesn't have that range.

That said, you may simply want to go down the list that Bryan provides (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Canon-General-Purpose-Lens.aspx) and find what they are going for on the used market. In addition to the EFS 15-85, the lens that stands out as likely falling into your price range is the EFS 17-85. But, maybe you'll get lucky and find a good deal on a really good lens. Maybe you trade the 15-28 mm range for the 55-135 mm range, it depends on what you shoot.

But as you may have one of the better general purpose lenses not on Bryan's list,I would be careful replacing your current lens with any lens not on that list as you may be downgrading your image quality.

Quote Originally Posted by kiuilop
    I guess the EF-S 18-135mm could / should be an option as well. I think when I first started my decision process I decided that if I went to an EF-S would probably just take the highest range possible assuming the quality would be similar (I don't see myself changing to a full body anytime soon but I guess the value of an EF lens in the long run would always be better).Maybe I went wrong there!

Not every EF-S lens is created equal. The 17-55mm f/2.8, 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, and 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 have image qualities on par with most of the L zooms (unfortunately not build quality though).

When it comes to buying lenses, unless you see a full-frame camera in the very near future, buy what is best for you right now. So that means don't be afraid of EF-S lenses just because they might not fit on a full-frame camera someday. Most lenses hold their value very well, you can always eBay them if you do find yourself upgrading.

Quote Originally Posted by kiuilop
    Unfortunately the 15-85 is a bit out of my possibilities right now, even though it might only be around 15% more expensive than the 18-200 I can't really find any 2nd hand available at a reasonable price (for my pocket).
    <div>Do you need to have the lens now, or could you save your pennies for a little longer and go for something better like the 15-85mm or the 17-55mm. I know it seems like a lot to spend, but if you really want to upgrade the IQ from your kit lens, you're going to have to spend a little more to get that improvement in IQ. You also get improvements in other areas, such as USM allowing for FTM and much quieter and faster focusing.</div>
    - Trowski

It seems that the OP isbudget limited and I would humbly recommend either one of the following:

Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens ~ $600

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens~ $450

Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens~ $250

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM IF Lens~ $480

Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Lens~ $529 (inc. the $100 mail in rebate)

As for the Sigma and Tamron's please keep in mind that the quality control on these lenses are questionable, not saying that they are all bad, you have a greater chance obtaining a lens that either has focusing problems when compared to the Canon's.

The above are consumer lenses and typically cater to those that shop at the Best Buys/Future Shops of the worldand looking at the ISO 12233 Cropsof said lenses, they all seem similar -to me at least.

If the OP wishes to move up to the upper-mid-levellenses, then expect to pay more (with some exceptionsfor examplethe 28-135 is considered an upper-mid-level lensbut ancient as well).

As for editing the images, Canon DPP will correct barrel distortionsas well but I'm not sure if it can be automated where a number of images can be selected and then *batched* into a job. Canon DPP is powerfulfor what it is and it's free!

I say read thereviews, make the decision as to what you really require and go out and support the local economy. Life is way too short to spend in front of a computer going through ISO charts, MTF charts etc - hmmm what just happened here....LOL?

*Beauty is in the eye-of-the-beholder*! You'd be surprised to some of the images that can be obtained from a $150 lens!

-elmo-
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

I held my first dslr camera one year ago. I had the Rebel T1i and two kit lenses, the 18-55mm &amp; the 55-250mm. Below are a few images taken with the 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS when I first started. Overall, I didn't think either lens was all that bad for beginner general photography. Good luck with whatever lens you decide on and enjoy!

Denise