Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lens Rentals Review of the 24-70 II

Sounds more like the holey pocket.

WOW! And with five copies, just WOW!

Now I NEED to upgrade to FF. Hold on, my brain is telling me I was saving for a super telephoto, oh well.

But I still want it just as bad,
    John.
    Amateurs worry about gear, pros about the pay, masters about the light, and I just take pictures!

I have to admit I was already thinking of the FF jump and then this.....but I would hate losing the length on the telephotos. I need to keep telling myself that.

The new 24-70 f/2.8L II plus the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II - that will be an amazing walkaround combination on a FF body!

That is my plan. I already have the 70-200 and have pre-ordered at B&H the 24-70. Toss in a TC and I am pretty well set for world class glass
    Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    The new 24-70 f/2.8L II plus the 70-200 f/2.8L IS II - that will be an amazing walkaround combination on a FF body!
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

You have to wonder...now that Canon has Version II lenses from 16 to 600mm with world class resolution, are they ready to release the world's greatest high res sensor? The main criticism of the Nikon D800 has been that many of the Nikkor lenses are not good enough to take full advantage of the 36mp high res sensor. Maybe Canon now has the "horses" in place to do just that?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    You have to wonder...now that Canon has Version II lenses from 16 to 600mm with world class resolution, are they ready to release the world's greatest high res sensor? The main criticism of the Nikon D800 has been that many of the Nikkor lenses are not good enough to take full advantage of the 36mp high res sensor. Maybe Canon now has the "horses" in place to do just that?

That is what I thought over a year ago, then Canon released an 18mp 1D X instead of the rumored 36mp 1Ds IV. I would make no bets on Canon’s marketing strategy.

Since the market life of these lenses is 8 to 10 years they do have to design these things for what we may have years in to the future.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    . I would make no bets on Canon’s marketing strategy.

Agreed

Looks fantastic. But for me I don't think an upgrade is in order. I have the 24-70mm f/2.8L now and I don't use it. The reason for this has nothing to do with image quality, more to do with max aperture and the associated DOF. My move is (finally) heading towards a prime kit (of course the 70-200 II will absolutely stay) but at those lower focal lengths f/2.8 doesn't blow me away.

In saying this, I have no doubt the upgraded lens will slot into many many photogs' bags upon release. As John said, for most people the combo of this lens and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II will be a formidable walkaround combo.

Maybe I'm just a bokeh snob
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

The 70-200 f/2.8 II $2300.
    The 24-70 f/2.8 II $2300.

I detect a pattern here!