Page 339 of 558 FirstFirst ... 239289329337338339340341349389439 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 5572

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Another HB, processed with Topaz Clean 3 for a painting type effect.

Can't resist posting another one I was able to get him perched on a sprig of Baby's Breath

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    This immature male RTHB was perching on one of our deck chairs while we were eating lunch
    And of course you have you camera always at the lunch table? ;-)
    Or did he wait for you to go and get it?
    Great shots Joel, I like the unusual environment.

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    And of course you have you camera always at the lunch table? ;-)
    Or did he wait for you to go and get it?
    Great shots Joel, I like the unusual environment.
    Had it set up on a tripod waiting for an opportunity

Can't resist posting another one I was able to get him perched on a sprig of Baby's Breath
    Joel, I like this one with the baby's breath and the dark background really worked. I also liked the one before that you did with Topaz clean 3---a really nice effect except the software did something weird with the bird's eye. I didn't care too much for the one you did with Topaz simplify---there just wasn't enough photo or special effect to make it special---But I really liked the color in the background, was it one of your printed backgrounds?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    Joel, I like this one with the baby's breath and the dark background really worked. I also liked the one before that you did with Topaz clean 3---a really nice effect except the software did something weird with the bird's eye. I didn't care too much for the one you did with Topaz simplify---there just wasn't enough photo or special effect to make it special---But I really liked the color in the background, was it one of your printed backgrounds?
    Thanks, it was a background I made with spray paint on a poster board.

Northern Cardinal
    1D4
    700mm
    ISO 800
    1/320
    f/7.1
    580EXII + Better Beamer -2 1/3 stops ETTL

I love all of them but I must say, this one is my top favorite!! Beautiful capture, Joel!

No, No, No I don't have any pictures of hummers to post. After watching this thread and really enjoying everyone's work I have to admit I have been embarrassed to write anything lately. Over the last two or three weeks I have been out several times to shoot my very active hummers, but I have not had even one keeper. I'm in a slump. As some of you may know (I hope I am not the only one), there is nothing worse than shooting 500 photos only to discover that they are all @#$%^&*. Out of focus, ghosting, poor background, poor composition, bad exposure----you name the problem and I have experienced it this month. I am embarrased, frustrated and even angry about my lack of success. More importantly, I am frustrated with my inability to isolate the problems or discover my errors.

So, I have a 4 day weekend and have already informed my bride that I plan to address and fix these problems (even if it takes all four days)---can you say OCD. In one of my blog posts I said that one of my (realistic) goals was to have 100 decent hummingbird shots before the end of the season. I am currently up to 72 I think, so I have some serious work ahead of me this weekend.

I was having some luck with my old setup, but in order to change things up a bit and challenge myself to new levels of competance I decide to alter many of my practices----now I have to figure out which one or how many of my ideas were "bad ones"

My old setup consisted of:

7d, 500L 4 or 5 speed lights set at 1/16, ISO 400 or higher, Shutter speed at 250 and aperature between f9 and f16 depending on ambient light. I also normally used a staged but natural background.

My failed setup of late consisted of 7D, 100L, 4 or 5 speedlights set at 1/32, ISO 200, Shutter speed at 125, and aperature between f11 and f16 and I started useing a printed background.

My biggest problem, and one I thought I had resolved, was ghosting. So I plan to start my trouble shooting at shutter speed and going back to 1/250th and see what that does. Logically, It shouldn't make a difference if no ambient light is let in and all speed lights are set correctly---But I am doing something wrong and I figured this is as good a place as any to start.

Anyway, Sorry about the rant, But I had to vent and you folks are the only people I know that might understand my obsession.

Bob
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob williams View Post
    there is nothing worse than shooting 500 photos only to discover that they are all @#$%^&*. Out of focus, ghosting, poor background, poor composition, bad exposure----you name the problem and I have experienced it this month. I am embarrased, frustrated and even angry about my lack of success. More importantly, I am frustrated with my inability to isolate the problems or discover my errors.
    If you took the best of those 500 @#$%^&* shots and posted it, I bet a whole lot of people here would wish they could get one that good. You are going to be your worst critic.

Pat
    5DS R, 1D X, 7D, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, 24mm f/1.4L II, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-105mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 100mm Macro f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, 580EX-II
    flickr