Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buying 7D - My shopping list Opinions/Criticisms please

Re: Buying 7D - My shopping list Opinions/Criticisms please

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

I guess you are not talking about shooting birds right?

Well, that depends. If you accept a lower keeper rate, you can get some at 1/250. I've gotten a few at 1/60.

I live in southern California, the weather here is just very nice, so maybe it's a big deal in Canada?

Last time I was in SoCal, there was a little rain and it almost caused a state of emergency. Panic-stricken news anchors on the verge of tears, widespread floods and panic, car wrecks everywhere caused by people who had never seen water fall from the sky.[] It rains like that all the time up here in the Pacific Northwest and beautiful British Columbia. You get beautiful photos just after a rainshower.

One time, a Californian moved up here and saw nothing but constant rain for two weeks straight. Finally she asked a little boy if it *ever* stopped raining. He said "how should I know? I'm only six."

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    One time, a Californian moved up here and saw nothing but constant rain for two weeks straight. Finally she asked a little boy if it *ever* stopped raining. He said "how should I know? I'm only six."

lol, you know I kept talking about moving to Vancouver to my wife when we get retired, all I heard about this city is how beautiful it is especially when oriental cherry blooming and how great their seafood is, of course there are a lot of wildlife shooting opportunity, we may get a bigger nicer house there. now I have to think about that again!,I'm ok with the cold weather, but being stuck in house for 2 weeks or longer will kill me plus making all my gear weather sealed is very expensive![]

lol, you know I kept talking about moving to Vancouver to my wife when we get retired, all I heard about this city is how beautiful it is especially when oriental cherry blooming and how great their seafood is, of course there are a lot of wildlife shooting opportunity, we may get a bigger nicer house there. now I have to think about that again!,I'm ok with the cold weather, but being stuck in house for 2 weeks or longer will kill me plus making all my gear weather sealed is very expensive![img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Stuck in the house? Nonsense. It's called a hood []

Honestly though it's the lack of sunshine in the winter that seems to bother people who move here more than the rain. Rain is no big deal. - I'm really selling the place aren't I? [:P]

I've lived in Vancouver my entire life and I love the place. Maybe I'm just used to its downsides since i grew up with them. It's hardly ever too hot or too cold/wet to go outside. Also, when the weather is good, people really want to get out and enjoy it because they don't take it for granted. There's a lot of nature around and it's just a beautiful place. It's starting to sound like there are quite a few of us on the board located in Vancouver or elsewhere on the BC coast.

As to whether or not sealing is critical here, it really depends on the type of shooting. I've never relied on it, but then again I don't really like taking photos of rainy scenes, or walking around casually taking photos in the rain. Once it starts raining I stop taking photos, but I'm just a hobbyist so it's never critical for me to get a shot. My main casual walk around bag is a lowepro AW so the camera goes in and only comes back out when I get indoors or the rain breaks. However, Homer sounds like he's planning to get out in the rain for storms and wet weather, so prioritizing weather sealing makes sense to me. He's not going to be able to take great shots in the middle of a heavy rainstorm with the 100-400L for very long, certainly not the years that this amount of gear should last him.

-------- Daniel, just too funny[]

I don`t plan to take pictures in the rain either. I live on the east coast of VI and 4 blocks from the beach. We get some good nasty storms and guess where I am,I alsoplan to make trips to the west coast (Long Beach) to get some storm shots this winter.This is the only time you will see me out in the rain is in storms and other times when it can`t be avoided.

Rain is a fact of life here but we are repaid with the beauty it provides and brings us. But no matter where you live, at certains times the weather just sucks.

Homer

WOW[:P] is all I can say. Simply amazing and having so much control is beyond believe.

Picked up everything on Friday, was late so only had time to charge the battery. Rained all day Saturday so gave me lots of time to read the manuals over and over againand go through everything I purchased,but did mange to take a couple pictures. Sunny today so managed to take a lot of pictures. I can't get over the quailty of the results. Only attaced the 24-105 so far .I filled the bird feeder and hung up the suet for the Wood Peckers so we will see what that brings.

I configured the camera by this link http://www.deepgreenphotography.com/blog/?p=226. Only setting I changed was to disable Live View for now. Not only did this help a lot, but also let me explore and dicover what is available in the menus. Reading the manual and then going through this setup really helped me understand whats going on. I am only shooting in JPEG mode so farand will use RAW when I learn some more. So far, all pictures I took were in AV mode and Auto ISO.

Question, what is the best site to upload and share pictures either apy site or free? Suggestions?

Thanks

Homer

Quote Originally Posted by Homer
    Question, what is the best site to upload and share pictures either apy site or free? Suggestions?

Homer, Many people use Flicker, It's Free and has a lot of options. There is also"Smug Mug" (Pay Site) that is popular and my favorite "Zenfolio" which is also a pay site. I prefer the pay sites because there are no ads and you can customize your site in many different ways. you can even get rid of the logos like zenfolio or smug mug so that the site really looks like your own. Also, you can set them up to sell your photos, have a back up site for your favorite shots, and limit someone else's ability to download your pictures. these sites also have very nice plugins for Lightroom, Aperture and Photoshop that allow direct conversion and upload. Finally, these sites make it very easy to upload your shots to this forum.

Good luck, when you do decide on a site, let us know so we can all take a gander []

Bob
    Bob

How much is Smug Mug or Zenfolio? I went to the Smug Mug site after reading your post, Bob and all it says is to try free. How much is that one after you "try"? I didn

Congrats on your new gear, Homer!! Very much looking forward to your photos! You did some extensive research here &amp; I know you will be very happy!

Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

How much is Smug Mug or Zenfolio? I went to the Smug Mug site after reading your post, Bob and all it says is to try free. How much is that one after you "try"? I didn't check out the Zenfolio yet. I just dropped $25 to go Pro on Flickr for unlimited uploads. Guess I should have shopped around before I dropped the $.

Denise
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Denise, I don't know what smug mug charges, but If I recall, Zenfolio charges 25, 50 or 100 depending on the level of service. You can see thier pricing here http://www.zenfolio.com/zf/pricing.aspx.

Bob

Opened a SmugMug free account to see how it works and feelsand uploaded my first pictures taken. Here is my link

http://pwilts.smugmug.com

Homer