Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Tripod. Recommendations please.

Lovely jubbly.Trigger finger on the Amazon site is now getting itchy.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    Lovely jubbly.Trigger finger on the Amazon site is now getting itchy.
    Did you decide which one you want to get?

Dave

I'm looking at the 190xproB and the 498 with a FastenR-T1, all coming to £183 on amazon.

Still willing to accept alternatives though.
    Last edited by ham; 02-19-2012 at 12:47 PM.

I was also looking at the 190xprob but ended up ordering the Vanguard 263AT. I give up one of the leg angles but getting it for under $100 using two coupon codes, I figured I could live without the one leg angle for an extra $50. Since it's returnable, I'll at least check it out and see what I think.

I am looking forward to your review on the one you do decide on.

Denise

Hmm, the Vanguard is 200g heavier, and 6cm longer when folded, but that gives it an extra 2kg in rated max. load and 19cm extra height.

Would be interested to know how much of that extra height is with the centre column extended, but I can't find that easily. (I do know the 190XPROB has a shortish centre column though).

AND typical, there're no direct comparisons...
    Last edited by ham; 02-19-2012 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ham View Post
    Would be interested to know how much of that extra height is with the centre column extended, but I can't find that easily. (I do know the 190XPROB has a shortish centre column though).
    140cm without the centre extended.

Hmm, that means the extra 19cm is all in the legs. Thanks, D.

The Vanguard also has the multi-angle centre post, but the Manfrotto goes down completely flat to the ground.

Is there anywhere anyone knows of which reviews and ranks tripods? Particularly on stability.

I am planning to buy tripod too. I am looking to Manfrotto MT294A3 and Manfrotto 055XPROB. Head will be Manfrotto 498RC2.

Manfrotto MT294A3 is cheaper, older, weighs less (1,8kg) and can hold 5 kg of equipment.
    Manfrotto 055XPROB is more expensive, new version of the center column, weighs more(2,4kg) and can hold 7 kg of equipment.
    My equipment weighs ~1,5kg. In the future (not soon) it will weigh maybe till 3 or 4 kg max.

Is it worth to buy more expensive tripod, which can hold 7 kg and expect that it will be more stable with my 1,5 kg equipment than cheaper tripod, which can hold "only" 5 kg?

Have a look at the 190, it's what I'm looking at because it's lighter, but it's the newer design.

It won't get to my head height, but when I'm really trying to line a shot up properly I prefer live-view. And the 60D has a flippy screen so height isn't a huge issue.

But then I'm here looking for alternatives so that I know I'm making the right decision. So don't listen to me
    Last edited by ham; 02-20-2012 at 05:33 PM.

So Denise, having seen your other thread do I assume you've not gone for the Vanguard 263AT?