Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Sean's Recent Shoot: Panos Galore

Sean, your control of the light in this series is fantastic! 3rd one is my pic. 2nd one would have been the best, but the front wheel is trimmed off. Didn't know if that was cropped or the way it was shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Sean, your control of the light in this series is fantastic! 3rd one is my pic. 2nd one would have been the best, but the front wheel is trimmed off. Didn't know if that was cropped or the way it was shot.
    The way everything was setup in the relatively cramped space made it difficult to frame the shots perfectly. I failed most of the time. ;-)

I'm a bit concerned about being most interested in the setup shot. Suppose a normal guy would pay more attention to the other ones... Great photos!

Great series Sean. Do you use a tripod and remote or are you on the move for a shoot like this?
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

I rarely use a tripod for a shoot unless it's for a self-portrait. I was going handheld for this, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by cls View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about being most interested in the setup shot. Suppose a normal guy would pay more attention to the other ones... Great photos!
    Don't worry, you won't find many normal people here so you're in good company.

Great work as usual Sean.

Fantastic, Sean ---- your model must be thrilled with the results. I really appreciate how you explain your set ups... it is fascinating for a guy like me who rarely even uses a camera-mounted flash.

Kristin in the Alley

I set up a test shoot with Kristin in order to test out using the 5D Mark II coupled with a Genus ND Fader filter while using a Mola Demi beauty dish as the main light. I can honestly say I couldn't have picked a better subject. Not only is she attractive, but she's one of only a couple of girls I've had in front of my camera that I can honestly say knew how to work it. Having been in pageants as a young girl, she knew how to strike and hold poses extremely well. Not only that, but she could easily come up with a very good pose all on her own without the least bit of input from me.

The shoot went very well to say the least. I really liked how flattering the Mola's light could be when it's positioned directly above camera and pointed at a subject with relatively unblemished skin. The Genus ND Fader filter allowed me to underexpose the ambient using a shallow depth of field while keeping the subject well lit with the monolights. However, depending on the opacity of the Genus at a given time, the 5D Mark II had a difficult time focusing (which is to be expected). More than a few shots were out of focus because of this. However, I did what I always do--shoot as many shots as you can. The more shots you shoot, the better your chances for getting a sufficient number of good ones. ;-)

And the setup shot (not on Flickr):

Those are great Sean! I love the strobist-shallow depth of field look. You nailed these.

After getting the mkII, any part of you wish you had gone for the MKIII? I was always worried that I'd miss the AF of my 7D if I made that jump.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    After getting the mkII, any part of you wish you had gone for the MKIII? I was always worried that I'd miss the AF of my 7D if I made that jump.
    I couldn't afford the Mark III, so it's hard to regret getting the Mark II. For portraiture (my bread and butter), I don't need the best autofocus. When I do, the 7D will fill in just fine. Otherwise, the Mark II is proving to be a good fit so far.