Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Photographers

Olympic Photographers

Ok, how many of you look at the photographers more than the athletes, to see what kind of equipment they're using?

I admit I'm guilty of that, and I actually pause my DVR (Tivo) to get a good look!

Rich

I look but don't pause, just scanning to see how many big white lenses vs big black lenses

I heard what had to be a 1Dx on full rock-and-roll during the gymnastics event. Hard to mistake that sweet sound.
    Last edited by M_Six; 08-10-2012 at 12:56 AM.
    Mark - Flickr

I saw the funniest thing the other day. It was during the Men's High Jump Heats, I don't know what was going on but it was something about all 17 of the jumpers wanted to go through to the final together, even though there were only 12 places.
    Anyway, the aussie guy walked to the stand to have words with his coach. Just in front of the coaches was a bit dugout with camera guys in, one of them had what must have been a 500 or 600mm lens. He gets some shots of the aussie guy walking over, then when the coach is talking to him, leans back with his monopod and tries to frame some shots.

From less than a metre away.
    With a 500mm+ lens.

Even with enough extension tubes to get him in focus, he might have just framed his eyeball (although i'm sure it would have been a very sharp eyeball).

Lesson number one for sports shooting.
    Bring a backup body with a wide-angle lens. Even if it's a 1000D with an 18-55, it'll give you better shots than a 1DX with 500mm L II at 1m away...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

In certain events it appears that Nikon has the edge. Some events Canon. I am not sure which one is going to win the gold.

What I have seen most are the 24-70s shoved into the girls faces as they are crying over a goof
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by clemmb View Post
    What I have seen most are the 24-70s shoved into the girls faces as they are crying over a goof
    Well, that's like shooting fish in a barrel...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

I have a big problem with the Olympics, the athletes keep getting in the way.
    Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF 24-105L, EF 50 f1.2L, EF 70-300L, 430EX.

"Criticism is something you can easily avoid, by saying nothing, doing nothing and being nothing." -
    Tara Moss

One thing I can tell by watching these guys, I do not want to be a professional sports photographer they work to hard. Running up and down the court or track all day long with a huge white lens and a camera or two other strapped to your neck really doesn't look fun. As a dedicated amateur I can always leave the court or track and go get a frito chili pie any time I want, IMO my position is more fun.

Allot of those guys are working there buns off.

Anyone see Usain Bolt grab a tog's camera?

His photos are up on aftonbladet apparently.