Thread: PocketWizard

PocketWizard

Has anyone tried the new PocketWizard Mini TT1 Radio Slave and the Flex TT5 Transceiver Radio Slave for Canon E-TTL II System?

If so have you had any problem?

Mark
    Mark

Re: PocketWizard

I just got the Flex TT5 Transceiver today @ Adorama - but i only got one since i have two PULS II transceiver...

I think the only issue i have is selecting the channel - i think is a bit tricky to get a few pocketwizard to work, I will try to test the E-TTL Capabilities with my 580 & 420 EX tomorrow and see how it will react to light/darkness.

One things is for sure - I like how you can configure the remote using USB connection and also being able to do any type of firmware update to the remote.

I'm bumping this because I'd be interested in a lotmore feedback about these newest Wizards. (Planning on buying mine in a couple of weeks, but worried about all these reports I've been reading.)

Anyone else care to share?

I don't have them, but I've read many reports about the new PW units being unreliable because of the electronic noise that is undampened by the 580EX flashes. Some of the earliest issues with the new PWs are being addressed by firmware updates (which are easily done via USB). However, there's only so much you can do with the firmware. PocketWizard is looking at a new approach--shielding the receiver from the flash (see AC7 Shield). But asking users to pay that much more to make their products work the way they should have worked out of the box is something that alot of photographers will have a very hard time swallowing. Truth is, the guys at RadioPoppers seem to be miles ahead of PocketWizards in this area of the market.

I believe the frequency that the RadioPoppers PX units use is largely unaffected by the electronic noise of the Canon flashes. Unfortunately for PocketWizards, they must remain compatible with earlier receiver models and are locked into working within certain frequencies. These frequencies seem to be problematic for people with Canon flashes (especially the 580EX).

In the end, I'm sure PWs will figure out a solution that doesn't involve the hassle of a shield. But for now, I'd look to RadioPoppers for off-camera TTL capability. Otherwise, use the regular PWs or Cybersyncs to trigger manual flashes.

I have a set of RadioPoppers and I love 'em.... I ended up picking them over PW's for a number of reasons, and I don't regret it at all. My only irritation isn't with the product but rather the company - the JrX units that were going to be here in Canada "Early April" aren't even out in the states yet :| And I was told not two weeks before their supposed release date that they were gonna be on time... couple this with the fact that the website and blog haven't been updated in months and I'm a little bit disappointed with them. Having said that, I'd highly recommend the product itself, even if I'd rather deal with a different company

I agree 100% with Iculpin. I waited, and waited, and waited for the RadioPopper Jr (now JrX) units to be released. After missing the 4th or 5th release date, I was finally so frustrated with the company that I purchased Cybersyncs. I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase. I wish I had given up on RadioPoppers a year ago. I'm sure once the JrX units are finally released they will be a great product. But the fact that they have (albeit inadvertently) lied to their potential customers over and over makes me not want to do business with them, no matter how good their product is. I understand that manufacturing delays happen, but they announced a product and an expected delivery date. They haven't kept their potential customers updated with current release projections after delays.

I think the lack of communication is turning many people away from RPs.

Yeah it's really left a bad taste in my mouth... which really is too bad, since they do make a great product (though those new velcro-less mounts that were also supposed to be out already are another yet-to-be-delivered promise).

Kinda makes you worry about the longevity of the company a bit [:S]

You're right--it really doesn't matter how good your product is if your customer base doesn't believe it can trust you.