Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which camera

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

which camera

I know there's always a lot of posts about this but the search function isn't working right now (service not available!).

So I saw a deal on fred miranda for a canon 1ds mark ii for about 2,000 dollars. The camera seems to be in decent condition with a low shutter count (under 20k). I've always wanted a 1d and now I have a chance to get one. I'm between this and a 5d mark ii.

I used to mainly shoot a lot of action photography of my dog. Lots of frisbee, running around etc. I enjoy portraits and a pretty wide range. As of recent I've been moving more into landscape photography and I really enjoy traveling so I'm looking for a camera that has a full frame. My wife and I just moved out to the bay area and we're loving all the great places to visit nearby (like Yosemite which yielded a lot of shots I'm really pleased with) so I think this has really piqued my interest in landscape photography. I'm upgrading from a 20d and I shoot mainly with my 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8.

I could see myself enjoying both the full frame and the faster AF. I don't think I'll be unhappy either way since they're both great cameras. I don't think I'd make use of the video option at this point.

I know the new 5d mark iii is on its way but I'm not sure if I feel like waiting. I know the better screen of the 5d mark ii is really helpful but I don't really use it that much anyway since I've grown used to not trusting the 20d's screen.

Thanks again for all your help!

Cheers,
    Henry

Re: which camera

Oh I forgot to mention that I don

Hi Henry, welcome to the TDP Forum,

Currently Canon does not make any fullframe camera that is IDEAL for action photography, even though the 1Ds series cameras have excellent autofocus, they don

Henytran

You really posed 2 questions.

Like Sinh was explaining Canon separates its top 4 cameras in 2 groups really. The 7D and the Mark 1D series camera is a fast frame rate and for action. The 1Ds and 5D series are better for landscapes, static subjects and high image quality with a slow frame rate. Thats not to say that the the 1Ds and 5D will not do the action shots you are wanting to do, just not as well.

Second question would be the 1Ds II compared to the 5D Mark II. The 5D Mark II will give Image quality comparable to the later version 1Ds Mark III. For that reason alone I would go for the 5d Mark II.

Thanks guys for your input. I had a feeling the 5d mark ii

I own both 1DsII and a 5DII. The 5DII wins IQ by a bit. I still consider the 1DsII IQ to be very good just not as good as the 5DII.

The 1DsII can

Quote Originally Posted by henytran
    I've always wanted a 1d and now I have a chance to get one.

I vote for the 1ds in a large part because you've always wanted one. I say satisfy that curiosity. As you say...

I don't think I'll be unhappy either way since they're both great cameras.

I went from an even older D60 to a 1D2 (not S) specifically for the A/F performanceand I most certainly wasn't let down. My decision had nothing to do with image quality since I didn't need utmost IQ. I knew what I was buying for feel and user interface because my last film camera had the same controls.

Enjoy your purchase which ever way you go.

Paul M.

Thanks for your input! I ended up getting the 1ds m2 and so far it

Thanks for your input! I ended up getting the 1ds m2 and so far it's been a blast. I'm still learning how to use it since I've been using my 20d for the past 5 years but I'm confident that once I figure things out I'll be even happier. I noticed that the AF is kind of slow on the camera so I don't know if the settings are off. I guess I should set it back to the factory default and go from there.

The camera is quite massive so now I'm thinking about tripods/monopods. I saw the reviews for the gitzos and I was hoping to spend about 300 (less preferably!) I borrowed a tripod when I was in yosemite and loved the results so it's probably about time to buy one. I figure if I continue to dive into landscape/travel photography I won't regret the purchase. Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks,

Henry
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks for your input! I ended up getting the 1ds m2 and so far it's been a blast. I'm still learning how to use it since I've been using my 20d for the past 5 years but I'm confident that once I figure things out I'll be even happier. I noticed that the AF is kind of slow on the camera so I don't know if the settings are off. I guess I should set it back to the factory default and go from there.

The camera is quite massive so now I'm thinking about tripods/monopods. I saw the reviews for the gitzos and I was hoping to spend about 300 (less preferably!) I borrowed a tripod when I was in yosemite and loved the results so it's probably about time to buy one. I figure if I continue to dive into landscape/travel photography I won't regret the purchase. Any recommendations are welcome!

Thanks,

Henry
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Ditto with mr. Tran, I am also in need of a tripod that is very budget, yet user friendly! Im glad you are enoying your new 1dsmk2 and i can't wait to see some photos! It is a huge step up from the 20d in terms of size and obviously offerings! Good luck with you venture!

Hey Henry, congrats on getting your new weight set.

I noticed that the AF is kind of slow on the camera so I don't know if the settings are off. I guess I should set it back to the factory default and go from there.

I wholeheartedly recommend re-setting everything to default. There's a lot to customise on a 1-series and you don't know how it was configured.

For your AF speed - do you find it slow to pick a point from the 45 or slow to acquire focus through the selected point(s)? To check its potential set it to just the centre AF sensor and try focusing with that. Anything else will be a little slower (e.g. non cross-type points) down to slowest being when it's auto-selecting from all of its 45 points where it takes a bit to select which point or points to use. Still I don't find mine "slow", not even slower than other cameras I've tried, just some options are slower than others.

Bet by now you like how fast it actually takes a photo (short shutter lag and viewfinder blackout).

On the weight issue, I knew it would be heavy to start but I don't find it so now and I'm of the puny build. I got a Canon E1 handstrap and that makes it feel quite secureas I don't like using the neckstrap while taking photos.I do find it makes turning the main dial a pain but I have short fingers. I saw somewhere a comparison that had a Nikon handstrap fitted to a Canon and the reviewer found that preferable to the Canon E1.

I have an old Manfrotto aluminium 055 tripod and a 3-way and a ball head. I think I prefer the ball head. Manfrotto seems a very good brand at substantially less $$$ than Gitzo. I like mine and it's strong and secure but other than that I can't comment.

Paul.