Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Count 5D?

Shutter Count 5D?

Hi All -

I'm curious if anyone knows a way to get the shutter count out of the 5D; the actual number of activations. (the 5D original)

I do not want to return this beauty (it's in superb condition - love you Canon owners![Y]) but B&H gives you 2 weeks to return practically anything you buy from them. So it would be nice to know how many activations this body has, to complete the evaluation before the 2 weeks is up...

In any case - man oh man what a difference from the 40D! Naturally there's good and bad but the good is so good...the VF is shockingly bright and the 17-40 - I nearly dropped the camera when I saw what 17mm really looks like.

Now if I can just learn to make good pictures I'll be all set. [:P]

Thanks for any thoughts you care to share...!

(btw there's a great program for the 40D if anyone needs that - it works
    perfectly on mine - but unfortunately it's not able to get the 5D
    shutter count. Here's the link for the 40D app: http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx
    There's also a Mac version.)

Re: Shutter Count 5D?

well it's been a day - no replies. But it doesn't matter. I think you could tell me this body had a million activations and I still wouldn't return it...

now I finally get to see what this L glass can really do...

Hey canoli,

A while back this question was asked and I don't remember anyone having an answer back then either. Enjoy your "new" 5D :-)

I think if you cut shutter button in half and count the number of rings you'll be able to tell how many actuations there have been. Kind oflike an old tree [:P]

Have fun with the new toy, the 5D's still a fantastic camera.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor
    I think if you cut shutter button in half

...you'll remove half of the actuations on the camera. Kind of like rolling back an odometer. [:P]

Quote Originally Posted by canoli

I'm curious if anyone knows a way to get the shutter count out of the 5D; the actual number of activations. (the 5D original)

So it would be nice to know how many activations this body has, to complete the evaluation before the 2 weeks is up...

The only way to determine the number of actuations on a 5D MkI is to take or send the lens in to a Canon Service Center - they have software that can pull that info from the camera. There's one in Jamesburg, NJ.

This thread was the catalyst for me spending about 25 minutes of combing the internet for the answer. I came up with nothing. From what I can tell, no one found a way to calculate shutter actuations on the original 5D.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    This thread was the catalyst for me spending about 25 minutes of combing the internet for the answer. I came up with nothing. From what I can tell, no one found a way to calculate shutter actuations on the original 5D.
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    A while back this question was asked and I don't remember anyone having an answer back then either.

I told you ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by canoli

(btw there's a great program for the 40D if anyone needs that - it works
    perfectly on mine - but unfortunately it's not able to get the 5D
    shutter count. Here's the link for the 40D app: http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx
    There's also a Mac version.)

Thanks for this info. I was wondering what the count was on my 5DII.

31,456. I thought it was going to be 40k+.

Ha! you guys...[] So just count the rings eh? Perfectly simple! ...so nice when someone is kind enough to tell you... [:P]

Many times I tried to imagine the impact of a FF sensor on some of my 40D images. But either my imagination is poor or these FF jobs really are a whole 'nother world. Because nothing prepared me for that "wow!" moment when I saw what a 17mm FOV really is, or what a bright, wide VF does for my vision. Or best of all, seeing that gentle fall-off into bokeh from some good glass...

Or to put it another way - I'm lovin' it! [8-|]

When my 40D was my only body, I use to shoot everything with my 24 1.4 because I loved it so much. Then when I got my 5DII I felt like "I don't know you any more!" with that lens. It was so much wider than what I was used to it was a shell shock. Thank goodness for the 35 1.4.

I made the statement on here once, that "everyone eventually gets the FF bug" (big mistake) and I was hammered on it. I still feel, if you don't want full frame you haven't tried full frame or everything you shoot is sports or wildlife.

As great as my 7D is and all the things it does better, the 5DII is still my go to favorite body. There is just something about a FF image.