Thread: Choices Choices

Choices Choices

Some background... I'm fairly new to photography but take pride in my shots (don't we all). I shoot mainly wildlife (especially birds). For the last few years I've been using a Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ kit 18-55 as well as a 70-300mm f 4.5-5.6 IS USM.

I'll be going to Alaska in the near future and have about $1500 w/ which to upgrade my gear. I've considered upgrading both my camera (to a t1i or t2i) or upgrading to a 15-85mm, 70-200mm f4L, or 100-400mm. Or, some combination of camera + lens in that price range.

While I do shoot mainly wildlife I can't imagine giving up landscape shots in Alaska. So, I'm in that all too familiar area... do I sacrifice one for the other? Is there any combination of lenses/cameras that will allow me to get quality shots of both on my trip?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Re: Choices Choices

Rent, don't buy. This is a temporary need--perfect situation for renting rather than buying. Try LensRentals (they've got a good reputation).

Yup renting seems perfect for this occasion. For the longer run it's up to you. If you're really keen on birding and wildlife, go for the 100-400 or any longer prime. And if landscapes is more your thing go for a good general-purpose lens. But you can't get both for that budget I'm afraid.

Jan

I agree with the others. Sounds like renting is the way to go for you. The 100-400 is probably the lens for you in the long run, as well as for your Alaska trip. But you're looking at $1600 new, so that alone is pushing your budget beyond. I would say the two essential lenses for your trip on a crop sensor body is the 100-400 and a 17-55. You'll have a gap in focal length, but I don't think it will be detrimental for the shots you will take in Alaska. If you are able, you can cram in your 70-300 to cover that gap just in case.

Braden

Definitely agree with renting lenses for the trip - the 100-400mm would be a great choice! You might consider upgrading your body before you go, though - probably to a T2i if you are happy with the build and ergonomics of the XT. If you do upgrade, do so far enough enough in advance to learn the new features before you go!