Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which camera

which camera

I know there's always a lot of posts about this but the search function isn't working right now (service not available!).

So I saw a deal on fred miranda for a canon 1ds mark ii for about 2,000 dollars. The camera seems to be in decent condition with a low shutter count (under 20k). I've always wanted a 1d and now I have a chance to get one. I'm between this and a 5d mark ii.

I used to mainly shoot a lot of action photography of my dog. Lots of frisbee, running around etc. I enjoy portraits and a pretty wide range. As of recent I've been moving more into landscape photography and I really enjoy traveling so I'm looking for a camera that has a full frame. My wife and I just moved out to the bay area and we're loving all the great places to visit nearby (like Yosemite which yielded a lot of shots I'm really pleased with) so I think this has really piqued my interest in landscape photography. I'm upgrading from a 20d and I shoot mainly with my 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8.

I could see myself enjoying both the full frame and the faster AF. I don't think I'll be unhappy either way since they're both great cameras. I don't think I'd make use of the video option at this point.

I know the new 5d mark iii is on its way but I'm not sure if I feel like waiting. I know the better screen of the 5d mark ii is really helpful but I don't really use it that much anyway since I've grown used to not trusting the 20d's screen.

Thanks again for all your help!

Cheers,
    Henry

Re: which camera

Oh I forgot to mention that I don

Hi Henry, welcome to the TDP Forum,

Currently Canon does not make any fullframe camera that is IDEAL for action photography, even though the 1Ds series cameras have excellent autofocus, they don

Henytran

You really posed 2 questions.

Like Sinh was explaining Canon separates its top 4 cameras in 2 groups really. The 7D and the Mark 1D series camera is a fast frame rate and for action. The 1Ds and 5D series are better for landscapes, static subjects and high image quality with a slow frame rate. Thats not to say that the the 1Ds and 5D will not do the action shots you are wanting to do, just not as well.

Second question would be the 1Ds II compared to the 5D Mark II. The 5D Mark II will give Image quality comparable to the later version 1Ds Mark III. For that reason alone I would go for the 5d Mark II.

Thanks guys for your input. I had a feeling the 5d mark ii

I own both 1DsII and a 5DII. The 5DII wins IQ by a bit. I still consider the 1DsII IQ to be very good just not as good as the 5DII.

The 1DsII can

Hello, and if i may, I recommend the ever immortal Canon 5D Mark 1 at around 1000 USD, or so. This should allow some left over money for even more glass if needed! Unless you are seeking video, or even more high quality offerings from the 5D MKII then ignore this advice. Thank you and good luck!

more info provided below

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en/Camera-Sensor/All-tested-sensors/Canon/EOS-5D

It isn't necessary to machine gun shots hoping to get a good one, just one is all it takes.. Any camera should work just fine for you, but the 1Ds MK II should be excellent.

I have a 1D MK III, but my 5D MK II stops the motion just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by scalesusa
    It isn't necessary to machine gun shots hoping to get a good one, just one is all it takes..

Great shot!

Well, heck, then...trade in your 1DIII and 5DII for a nice G12 or S95 that's easy to carry. If it only takes one, then less than 1 fps is no problem. [:P]

Yes, I know it only takes one. But some moments are never reproducible, and a faster frame rate makes catching that one moment more likely. I don't often run-and-gun or spray-and-pray, but having the capability to do so is an nice safety net. Also, while some types of action shooting are fairly predictable, others are less so - for example, I have a hard time 'predicting' a shot with good wing position of a small, fast-moving bird in flight, and in that case, the machine-gun approach often delivers good results.

Quote Originally Posted by henytran
    I've always wanted a 1d and now I have a chance to get one.

I vote for the 1ds in a large part because you've always wanted one. I say satisfy that curiosity. As you say...

Quote Originally Posted by henytran
    I don't think I'll be unhappy either way since they're both great cameras.

I went from an even older D60 to a 1D2 (not S) specifically for the A/F performanceand I most certainly wasn't let down. My decision had nothing to do with image quality since I didn't need utmost IQ. I knew what I was buying for feel and user interface because my last film camera had the same controls.

Enjoy your purchase which ever way you go.

Paul M.