Thread: Use of Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5

Use of Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5

Im thinking of buying this lens, I use to take pictures of people and Im thinking that this lens will help me to take pictures in interiors.

What do you think, its a good lens??

regards

Re: Use of Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5

I have found the lens to be a great lens to use. It is a fun and creative lens. The only problem that I have found with this lens is that it is not great at indoor pictures if you don't have enough light.

Other than that I would recommend it.

Thanks for your advice, so you think is necessary a Flash to use it indoor??

Welcome to the forum, Cachimba.

The EF-S 10-22 is a fun lens, but it is not a very good general purpose people lens. From Bryan's review:

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Carnathan - The-Digital-Picture
    The Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens' focal length range fits nicely below Canon's popular 24/28-XXmm general purpose lenses such as the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 L Lens. These two lenses (or other similar combinations) could satisfy all focal length needs below 70mm for many people. Even if your main lens is 16/17-XXmm, the 10-22mm is much wider and would make a useful addition to your kit.

In my opinion, shooting at 10mm requires more skill on the part of the photographer than shooting with longer lenses. The Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens is even wider than the Canon EF 15mm Fisheye Lens on the same camera. Composition at this focal length becomes more difficult. As this angle of view takes in a lot of background, care must be taken to make it look good - it probably will not be blurred out of focus. Watch out for your shoes and shadow - they are easy to include in the 5% of the picture missing from the current EF-S DSLR's 95% viewfinders.

Close-up perspective at 10mm can result in wild and dramatic photos. This angle of view opens up a great opportunity for creativity. But if you want parallel lines to remain that way, you must shoot them from an exactly perpendicular angle (or fix them later during post-processing). This perspective distortion is up to photographer to control or dramatize as desired. Architectural photography is one 10-22mm use with many parallel lines. Interior photography is another similar good use for this lens.

While there is no law against taking pictures of people with the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens, they better be self-secure, fun-loving and smaller than you if they are going to see the results from close shots! You can make monsters out of your angels. Everything that sticks out will be greatly enlarged - especially noses.

I would recommend reading the whole review at:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-10-22mm-f-3.5-4.5-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

as well as his EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM review at:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Cachimba
    Im thinking of buying this lens, I use to take pictures of people and Im thinking that this lens will help me to take pictures in interiors.

I think you will find the 17-55 to fit your stated needs much better than the 10-22.

Chris

EDIT: If your only camera is a 5D, neither of these lenses will work on that body. They are both EF-S lenses which only fit Canon APS-C 1.6x sensor cameras. The 5D is a full frame sensor camera.

Hello, and welcome to the TDP forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Cachimba
    Im thinking that this lens will help me to take pictures in interiors.

Ok, now I see your other thread - as Chris says, the EF-S 10-22mm is an EF-S lens, and will not mount on a 5D body. Do you have a 1.6x crop body you plan to use this lens with? If not, do no buy it!

Thanks a lot, I think a 24 or 28mm will fit for me.

For a 5D, the 17-40mm f/4L might be a good choice. It would accomplish what you were perhaps thinking with the 10-22mm - getting a lot in the shot. It's actually a little cheaper than the 10-22mm.

However, when shooting indoors the max aperture of 4 might be somewhat limiting compared to what you're used to, since it's 2-1/3-stops slower than the 50mm f/1.8. Perhaps the 28mm f/1.8 would serve you well.
    - Trowski