Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Aperture 3.3 - Has anyone tried?

Apple Aperture 3.3 - Has anyone tried?

Has anyone tried the new Aperture 3.3 already?
    I haven't found reports of major issues on the interweb, any reports here in this community?

Thanks,
    Arnt

I just noticed that the update requires Mac OS X 10.7.4 I won't upgrade this computer to Lion (too old), so the new Aperture version will have to wait until I buy new hardware

I installed it yesterday. Some of the interface's look and feel changed. And there are a a few different options, like a nice button to "revert to original" for any edited photo. I haven't run into any issues yet.

I haven't found any issues. I like the Skin Tone White Balance function...a lot. You still can't ad multiple white balances (like you can color adj.) but at least in skin you can brush in or away.

They tout the Shadow/Highlights works better but I don't see it. It just has less sliders and less control over the effect. It seemed to be a "professional" feature before but now it feels like a iPhoto setting.

Revert to Original has always been there it just wan't a button. It had a little icon below the histogram on the Adjustment Inspector. But that area now has the all important iPhoto-ish Auto Enhance button.

I'm a long time Mac guy but I'm getting a little uneasy with Apple's direction lately. They are doing the same thing to Aperture they did to Final Cut. I can live with that but the OS is really getting to me. Lion is really buggy and I don't think the average user notices the issues as much as the pro user so they don't care to fix them. I think this is why Mt. Lion is only $20, they know Lion was crap. Kind of the same way Leopard was a rushed piece of crap and Snow Leopard was more the finished product.
    Last edited by Keith B; 06-13-2012 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B View Post
    I haven't found any issues. I like the Skin Tone White Balance function...a lot. You still can't ad multiple white balances (like you can color adj.) but at least in skin you can brush in or a way.

They tout the Shadow/Highlights works better but I don't see it. It just has less sliders and less control over the effect. It seemed to be "professional" feature before now it feels like a iPhoto setting.
    I think you can toggle between simple view/advanced view in the previous version. Can you still bring that up? Otherwise there is always curves ...

Revert to Original has always been there it just wan't a button. It had a little icon below the histogram on the Adjustment Inspector. But that area now has the all important Auto Enhance button.
    and there was always right-click - Reset Adjustments, was good enough for me

I'm a long time Mac guy but I'm getting a little uneasy with Apple's direction lately. They are doing the same thing to Aperture they did to Final Cut. I can live with that but the OS is really getting to me. Lion is really buggy and I don't think the average user notices the issues as much as the pro user so they don't care to fix them. I think this is why Mt. Lion is only $20, they know Lion was crap. Kind of the same way Leopard was a rushed piece of crap and Snow Leopard was more the finished product.
    We will see. I skipped Leopard and it seems I will skip Lion as well.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Arnt

Lion is really buggy and I don't think the average user notices the issues as much as the pro user so they don't care to fix them. I think this is why Mt. Lion is only $20, they know Lion was crap. Kind of the same way Leopard was a rushed piece of crap and Snow Leopard was more the finished product.
    It's worse than most of the previous OS's for sure. For example, when I disconnect and reconnect to an external display, the views of the the multiple desktops ('Mission Control') goes wonky, and I have to go into Activity Monitor and quit the Dock application to sort it out. Mountain Lion, which I've been running on one machine since April, does seem more stable, with some nice improvements, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    I think you can toggle between simple view/advanced view in the previous version. Can you still bring that up? Otherwise there is always curves ...
    The Simple/Advanced is gone. Just Highlight, Shadow and Mid Contrast are left.

Quote Originally Posted by ahab1372 View Post
    and there was always right-click - Reset Adjustments, was good enough for me
    Each palette still has it's own Reset Adjustment, it is just the reset all is in a different more obvious place.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    It's worse than most of the previous OS's for sure. For example, when I disconnect and reconnect to an external display, the views of the the multiple desktops ('Mission Control') goes wonky, and I have to go into Activity Monitor and quit the Dock application to sort it out. Mountain Lion, which I've been running on one machine since April, does seem more stable, with some nice improvements, too.
    Glad to hear that. I have problems with most ejectables. I have to force eject often. I have issues with dragging and dropping files. Often I can't save changes to files and I've turned off the Time Machine auto save crap. Very frustrating.

I'd like to do a clean install but with out a disk it seems very time consuming.
    Last edited by Keith B; 06-13-2012 at 10:28 PM.

I've turned off the Time Machine auto save crap. Very frustrating.
    Never used Time Machine. I use SuperDuper! to clone to external drives. One stays at work, one at home, each partitioned into separate volumes for my two and my wife's one Mac. That way, my backups are also bootable clones.

I haven't upgraded yet, as I'm still running Snow Leopard. I'll probably upgrade to Mountain Lion shortly after it's released, then upgrade Aperture.

Another way to revert back to the original is to just right click on the photo and select reset all adjustments.

John (Neuro), Super Duper is great, but you should consider running time machine too, so if you ever crash in between cloned backups, you'll be covered. I don't notice any performance hit on my processing power at all (Mac Pro desktop quad core, 14GB RAM though), and if you do, then you can just pause it in the middle of a backup and resume it when your done. The updated backups also occur very quickly, since they're only incremental.

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 06-14-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks, Rich. I think I'd set up Time Machine if I get a Time Capsule router at some point. As it is, our 3 Macs are all portables, so I'd have to plug them into the HDDs for a Time Machine backup anyway - and if I'm doing that, a full clone is just as easy (and takes only 15-20 min, since that's incremental as well). I run backups every couple of days for me, every couple of weeks for my wife (she's almost exclusively email/web now, since we had kids and she stepped down from her faculty position as a Professor of Anatomy & Physiology to stay home with them).