Thread: Canon EOS Rebel XS / 1000D Review

Canon EOS Rebel XS / 1000D Review

Discuss theCanon EOS Rebel XS / 1000D Review- tell us what you think of the Canon EOS Rebel XS / 1000D.

Re: Canon EOS Rebel XS / 1000D Review

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Thanks Bryan for another excellent review! We appreciate the effort you put into this!

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Once there's a new review, I always suspend whatever work I'm doing at the moment and read it. I always expect to learn something from it and I always can - both on the information and on your insight of this industry. I agree that the XS makes a lot of sense only when it's at the right price tag. I think the XS's image quality should be on par with the XTi - that's good enough to impress most people upgraded from P&amp;S.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]The 100,000 shutter life is a surprise to me too, but personally that does not make too much of a difference - four months into my 50D's life I only got 1900 shots on it... Maybe I'm among the most careful digital photographers, who knows []

<span style="font-size: medium;"]I think Canon should emphasize to its beginner customers that <span style="font-size: medium; color: #ff0000;"]LENSES<span style="font-size: medium;"] actually make the most dramatic difference IQ wise once they have had a DSLR body. I have seen enough people using an XS, XSi or even a 40D or 50D with the 18-55 kit lens. Once I talked with one of my friends who's using a 40D with the 18-55 II lens about getting a better lens such as the 24-105, he said I was crazy because I encouraged him to spend as much money on a lens as his body. Beginners seem to have very weak concept of lens choices as they never need to buy a lens separately when using P&amp;S cameras. I always think that they would have been a lot happier with their DSLRs if better lenses were used. Canon should somehow figure out a way to convince beginners to consider some greater investment into lenses.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Just my thoughts.

<span style="font-size: medium;"]Ben

Re: Canon EOS Rebel XS / 1000D Review

I am delighted and mildly amazed by this review. The interface, including ample image details with roll-overs, is simple and elegant. I am unaware of any site currently producing reviews that are more helpful in getting an accurate glimpse of the "heart and soul" of a given camera. In short: a superb review.

The camera? Oh, yeah, mustn't forget that! [] As a long-time street photographer, I have favored small and discreet cameras. I have used many (most?) of the medium-tier 35mm compacts over the years, starting with the Rollei 35. Naturally, the advent of digital capture has given me opportunity to extend my smaller-is-better philosophy into the pixel realm. The quest for image quality stalled, for me, with the Canon G9.

Biting the bullet, I acquired a Canon XS a few months ago, and the G9 has seen little service since. For every reason given by Brian in his review, this is a surprisingly good photographic tool. The current sensible (low) price makes it a standout. Low light performance--critical for candid and street work--is right in there with DSLR's costing much, much more. Live view is important for me, and the XS is adequate in this regard. Live view implementation will surely improve with subsequent models, but the XS version is okay for my uses.

The other aspect of the camera that gave me pause was lack of spot metering. However, when needed, the exposure compensation capabilities (easily accessed by a dedicated button) offer an effective alternative for dealing with tricky lighting. Shooting raw helps in this regard, too.

In short, I totally concur with Brian. This camera is enthusiastically recommended first for capability, and additionally for value.