Thread: 70-200 f/2.8L IS Focusing Ring

70-200 f/2.8L IS Focusing Ring

Hi folks, I have a question on the 70-200 f/2.8 IS' focusing ring

According to Bryant's review on this lens, he stated that there is a slight play "Aside from a very slight amount of play in the focus ring.."

Mine has a slight play too, but if you use your hand to gently tapthefocusing ring from belowyou can hear a slight clanking sound. Does any body experience this?

Thanks for the answer.

Nate,

Re: 70-200 f/2.8L IS Focusing Ring

Not sure what you mean but when I use my 17-85, when I press the shutter button to focus I sometimes feel like it's moving (I mean the focusing ring is moving).

I know what you mean Oren, but this is different.

Just hold the 70-200 f/2.8 IS on your right hand, and use your left to gently tap the focusing ring from below..do you hear anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinh Nhut Nguyen

Just hold the 70-200 f/2.8 IS on your right hand, and use your left to gently tap the focusing ring from below..do you hear anything?
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Don't you hold the camera with your right hand?

Anyhow, all I hear is "wake up, wake up from your dream!"... LOL I don't have any of the 70-200's (yet), let a lone the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS[]

On a more serious note, since you have both the 70-200 and the 400 f/5.6, which one would you choose if you could only have one of them? (I know you'd probably say the 400mm but I still have to ask)

The slight play in the focusing ring is normal and in fact present in most if not all EF USM lenses to some degree. My copy of the 70-200/2.8L IS has a tiny bit more than my 24-105/4L IS, which in turn has an even tinier bit more than my 85/1.8. The amount of play even on the 70-200 is well under 1mm--I estimate it to be on the order of 0.1-0.2mm, barely perceptible to the naked eye.

If you wiggle the focusing ring back and forth, you will hear a sound as some internal gear "hits up" against something inside. That should be expected as well. The IS motor is far louder in comparison.

As I tap on the focusing ring, the sound I hear is the normal sound of the play in the focusing ring. I don't hear any other kind of sound. Again, it is very quiet and I have to put my ear up to the lens to hear it clearly.

When I walk around with this lens, I can sometimes hear internal components making a clacking sound. I believe this is the IS mechanism moving around inside (even when IS is not enabled). Again, I consider this normal.

If I shake the lens when detached from the body, I can again hear the IS mechanism moving around.

If you are hearing something louder than the sound of the IS when it is activated, I would be more concerned, because that is the loudest sound I've heard come from my lens. It's louder than the IS on the 24-105/4L IS--not surprising given that the latter is a newer design.

Of course I hold the camera with my right hand, but for the purpose of this thread, I was talking about holding the lens without mouting it on the camera.[]

I would choose the 400 f/5.6 of course. I use it almost everday. I've been contemplating on selling my 70-200 f/2.8L IS for many times, but I every time I used it I was verygladthatI didn't sell it.

I know you didn't ask me, and I don't have the 400/5.6L, but you will have to pry my 70-200/2.8L IS from my cold dead hands. Unless Canon made a mark II revision. LOL

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by wickerprints

I know you didn't ask me, and I don't have the 400/5.6L, but you will have to pry my 70-200/2.8L IS from my cold dead hands. Unless Canon made a mark II revision. LOL
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

wickerprints,

Knowing how much Nate loves his 400/5.6 L, you'd have to pry it from his hands, too! []

Wickerprints, your answer is what I was looking for, thanks.

Anybody else experience the same thing?