Thread: Need to send lens for repair; any advice?

Need to send lens for repair; any advice?

Hi all,

I was recently cleaning my EF-S 10-22 and I spotted a foreign object (of non-trivial size too!) right underneath the front element (or so it seems, it's definitely not on the surface). I got in touch with Canon and they gave me instructions on how to send it over to them for cleaning (to their Jamesburg center).

Any advice on what to look out for during the process? Does anyone have any experience on how long they will take to send it back and how much it will cost?

Yes, I will pack it really well.

Thanks!

Tony

Re: Need to send lens for repair; any advice?

<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]<span style="font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 6pt;"]

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]Tony,<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]Verify that your lens is focusing accurately, is it front or rear focusing?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] If it is slightly inaccurate, then have Canon correct this at the same time. Take a photo of the clear sky, etc., to verify the amount of vignette, which could change after the repair.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]Remove the hood and only ship with lens caps and pack it well in bubble wrap.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]The repair is usually a fixed price, which they should have told you up front.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]When you get the lens back re-verify the focusing accuracyand smooth operation of the lens' zoom and focusing rings rotation and that you do not have any new foreign objects.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Re-photograph a clear sky and compare the before and after vignette images.<o></o>

<span style="font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif'; color: black; font-size: 10pt;"]Bob<o></o>

Bob,

Sorry I took some time to reply. Thanks for the advice! This is exactly what I was looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    The repair is usually a fixed price, which they should have told you up front.

Even though I asked them, they didn't quote me a price. They said that they need to evaluate it and then they will quote me a price.

Tony

My friend has had a moth in his 24-105 L for two years but refuses to send it in... doesn't affect image quality though.