Thread: EdN--thank you re: my friend's camera (advice)--it worked!

EdN--thank you re: my friend's camera (advice)--it worked!

Not sure if you remember, but my friend, a proud owner of 50D did some "spring cleaning" of her mirror and focusing screen. In the process she ended up actually scratching the focusing screen (I think). I went with your advice, used the rocket blower and removed most of her lovely black cashmere sweater residue and some weird dust, but the scratch and some funky threads were there, very light, but they were there. Now, i recently became an owner of 10-22mm and decided to change my focusing screen to EF-D to get some help with leveling while shooting architecture... of course she wanted such grid as well. I figured this may help with the scratches, so we changed her focusing screen as well (in MY house, I did it, sterile conditions, no little ones present [Y]) Now she has beautifully clean viewfinder. Yay!

Ed, thanks for all your advice. It is also a lesson for me NOT to ever lend her my equipment or lenses[:P]

No matter how she begs.

Re: EdN--thank you re: my friend's camers (advice)--it worked!

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help.

I'm also very happy to hear that everything on her camera ended up okay. Digital cameras are very forgiving but there are certain things you shouldn't mess with and it seems your friend found many of them in one session. Good to hear there was no damage and the solution and upgrade were inexpensive. Perhaps those scratches and other unknown particles originated with the first owner of the body.

Congratulations on your new lens. Changing the focusing screen is not a difficult job but is definitely not for klutzes so well done! Perhaps your skill can rub off onto your friend.

Thanks for letting us all know how everything turned out. (I hadn't seen a post from you for a while so in the back of my mind, I wasworried thatyour friend was getting you into more misadventures. I'm glad to hear that was not the case.)

Looking forward to seeing you post some of your photos.

Regards,

Ed