Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who thinks new Canon teleconverters will be out soon??

Who thinks new Canon teleconverters will be out soon??

I'm curious... I have a 2X extender that I got about a year ago. I don't use it often, but am thinking about purchasing a 1.4x extender, as that would be something I would use quite often. Only thing is, I thought I heard something about Nikon JUST came out with a version III of it's 2X extender, and I'm thinking if that's true, will Canon follow suite soon and release new extenders? It's not a big deal on the 2X since I don't use it much and have had it a year... but it would upset me to get a 1.4x if right afterward they came out with a new version.... what do you all think?

- Jordan

www.freshphotohawaii.com

Re: Who thinks new Canon teleconverters will be out soon??

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    Only thing is, I thought I heard something about Nikon JUST came out with a version III of it's 2X extender

That's true.

will Canon follow suite soon and release new extenders?

Yes, they will follow suit. Canikon copy eachother all the time. But I'd guess 18 months.

I'm also guessing that Canon will release an EF-S 35mm f/1.8 for $200 to copy the new one that Nikon came out with.

it would upset me to get a 1.4x if right afterward they came out with a new version

It could happen. Or it might be 5 years. There's no way to tell.

EF-S 35 f/1.8? That'd be sweet! I JUST bought an EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro btw.... (every nice lens for the money) and then like two weeks later heard a rumor (that is probably true) that they're releasing an IS version of it soon.... ugh.. so now I'm trying to sell it fast and just go without a Macro lens so that I can get the IS version, or just save up for the 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro which I love... I just don't want the same thing to happen with the converter... though it's much less of a problem with a converter I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Browning
    I'm also guessing that Canon will release an EF-S 35mm f/1.8 for $200 to copy the new one that Nikon came out with.
    Best thing I've read all year, assuming it's sharp. All the decent wide-angle primes are very expensive, and an EF-S version would cut down on manufacturing expense. With the 7D, Canon has reason to take EF-S lenses somewhat seriously, so there may be some hope... but at $200, I'm thinking no IS, no USM, and no high-quality build. Something like the 50mm f/1.8, but wider. That's fine with me, as long as it has the image quality.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

What more would you want a 1.4x extender to do?

Well see that's kinda' my point in that it's not a HUGE deal... but there are things like new coatings on the glass, better build quality, just new technologies inside that could be better.... my feeling is that, like you're saying, there is very little difference. But if I got on and a newer version came out two weeks later, I'd still be upset haha!

Quote Originally Posted by barba

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

The current EF Extenders have a tendency to introduce lateral chromatic aberration in the corners because they don't have any special-dispersion glass or fluorite. A Mark III revision could introduce UD elements and improve the performance in the corners. At present the 1.4x II is quite good in the center, less so in the corners; the 2x II does not impress me at all.

Thanks wickerprints... that's the sort of things I meant buy a new version... details like that.

I have a 2X extender, and when used on a 400 f/2.8 - I find the quality to be outstanding, at ALL apertures I shoot at (usually between f/5.6, the minimum, and about f/8 or f/9). Now putting it on the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS USM - I do see a little of what you mean... not the clearest glass out there. I'm interested in getting the 1.4x but just not sure if I'll kick myself when a new version comes out haha!! I'll keep debating it. Luckily, it's only $300... it's not like I'm spending $1500 on a lens for a new version to come out right?

Quote Originally Posted by barba

<div style="clear: both;"]</div>

This is just a quick idea that just popped in my head: IS? Not sure if it's capable though.

Yeah I was thinking of that before too! I'd bet if that was possible they'd have done it already. I don't know if that would work correctly, but who knows.... maybe!