Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what lens to use

what lens to use

I am newto the shooting world and bought a Canon XS. My daughter is getting married and I've been asked to use what little expertise I have to shoot the wedding. If I was to buy 1 lens to get this done, which lens do you suggest and why?

Re: what lens to use

Welcome to the forum

I am sure there will be lots of suggestions. What is your budget? Need a flash recommendation?

Mark
    Mark

Depends on your budget and depends on when and where the wedding is (not specifically of course, but what the setting is... i.e. old church with no lights.. outside... daytime/nighttime etc.) Fill us in a bit and maybe we can help out just a bit more. []
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I have two suggestions. First, for the lens, I'd recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. It covers a very useful focal length range (equivalent to 27-88mm on a full frame camera; for comparison, the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L is called the 'wedding brick' because it's a great focal length on FF for wedding, and it's heavy...). The fast f/2.8 aperture and IS will help you get shots you'd otherwise miss.

The second suggestion is more basic. Instead of dropping $1000 on the lens I just recommended, hire a professional photographer. You'll get to enjoy your daughter's wedding ceremony and reception, instead of fretting over taking pictures. For example, if you're the photographer, just who's going to shoot the pictures of you walking her down the aisle, or dancing with you at the reception? You'll also likely get better pictures (not trying to critique your skill, but you stated that you have little expertise). Also, if for some reason the pictures don't turn out well, if you didn't take them, the chanceswill be much greaterthat you'll get to see those grandchildren when they come along...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

The fast f/2.8 aperture and IS will help you get shots you'd otherwise miss.

IS? Someone has been reading too much canonrumors.com, so far one can only dream... though maybe later this week with a little luck.

Welcome to the Forum!

If I was to suggest one lens, it'd be the 17-55. There's practically nothing wrong with it, it'll cost you ~$1000. However, I completely agree with John (neuroanatomist) – hire a pro. If not, you can rent lenses from lensrentals.com. It costs about $50 for 7 days for a good lens. That way, you can take pictures but not spend $1000. If you're looking into buying a lens for everyday use, start a new thread for that! Again, hiring a pro is probably the best idea.

Good Luck!

brendan

Maybe up to 600.00

As for the flash I already have a 430EX II

I do have a 17-85 but just don't know if that is enough length?

The big island of HI, daytime, outside

Quote Originally Posted by jcrowe87

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

The fast f/2.8 aperture and IS will help you get shots you'd otherwise miss.

IS? Someone has been reading too much canonrumors.com, so far one can only dream... though maybe later this week with a little luck.

Someone has been reading my post too fast, actually. []Scroll up, re-read, and you'll notice that I recommended and was talking about the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens, and that I referred to the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L "for comparison" in terms of having a similar full-frame angle of view to the 17-55mm on a 1.6x crop body like the XS that the original poster has.

Unless you are referring to yourself as the one reading too muchcanonrumors.com - in that case, I take it all back... []

Reception outside too? If you really are going to shoot this yourself, rentals are the way to go. Rent two bodies so you don't have to miss shots switching lenses, both full frame (5D MkII), EF 24-70mm f/2.8L for the wide shots, and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS for the longer shots. That will run you about $500 for 4 days, insured, from lensrentals.com. The image quality you'll get will be much better than your Rebel XS can deliver, even with a great lens or two. You'll also need a top-quality tripod for the posed shots.

I still strongly suggest you hire a professional. Really!