Thread: Experimental Lighting: Critique

Experimental Lighting: Critique

Hey all,

I've been working on my lighting over the past few nights (2:00AM photo shoots anyone!?). Unfortunately, I can only do headshots of myself seeing as I currently lack a model and the area for a full sized background. So I've been trying to get creative with my lights and modifiers.

I'd love to hear your honest feedback. What do you like? What can I do better (besides getting a better looking model!! =P ) And even if you're not a "strobist", What do you like about the light? What don't you like lighting wise?

Thanks so much.

All strobes triggered via CyberSyncs (Love Em!)

These first two are inspired by a shot from Cole Barash. Inspiration here.

Canon 20D w/Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 @ f/8

Strobist Info: 1 Canon 430EXII on axis with Orbis ring flash, ETTL. 1 Vivitar 285HV @ 1/16 with Lumiquest SBIII high and above, camera right. (Tried to use as a hair light, but I don't have a boom stand.)

These two are the same image black and white and then color. For these, I fashioned Lumiquest light stand boxes into strip lights by cutting one long face of the box off. I then lined the inside of the box with white duct tape, and wrapped the whole enchilada in a piece of white bed sheet. Set up shot below where you can get a better look.

Strobist Info:
    - 1 Canon 430EXII camera left through homemade strip light @ 1/4 - 1 Vivitar 285HV camera right through homemade strip light @ 1/16

Re: Experimental Lighting: Critique

I like the first one. Can't see any boogers!

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Rodger,
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Yeah I like them, kind of breaks the rules a bit I think, trust me I&rsquo;m no expert.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] First photo, nice catch ring light, normally they say to try and get the catch light at 1 or 11 o&rsquo;clock, bit difficult with a ring light I know, so that comment is kind of irrelevant I guess.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Second photo I like better but I would be careful of your face being tilted to far back, don&rsquo;t want to see up your nose.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I like the last one in monochrome better, there is just something about portraits in b&amp;w.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] You haven&rsquo;t got the classic Rembrandt lighting going on and in this case it might me a bit better to get just a bit more light on your left cheek just below the eye and side of face.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Minuscule details Rodger, over all I like them, good job.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0cm 0cm 0pt;"]<span style="font-family: Times New Roman; font-size: small;"]Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    Minuscule details Rodger

Thanks guys, It's those small things (and some of the bigger ones too) that I'm trying to improve on. I appreciate the feedback!

I would also say I am no expert, but my few comments are as follows:

1. The first two images are striking in their non-traditional lighting and pose. I like them a lot. The ring like in the pupil really draws attention to the eyes.

2. It looks like it was intentional, but I the second set of images seems under-exposed. But I think I am a bit more of a hi-key rather than low-key guy.

3. Good job over all just being up at 2am and experimenting. Makes me want to go buy more lights.