Thread: When is the price of the 70-200 mark I going to change?

When is the price of the 70-200 mark I going to change?

Hi all,

I've been looking to buy a 70-200 lens for a while and have been wondering when the price of the Mark I version of the 70-200 lens will drop a bit. I can't really justify spending $1700 More on a lens at this point but I only have one lens, and it happens to be a supertelephoto. So, what do you guys think is the best path for me to take? Will the 70-200 price drop a bit or will it stay at $1800?

thanks for all your opinions and input.

brendan

Re: When is the price of the 70-200 mark I going to change?

You should pick up a 70-200 I used. I think the prices on the used market will be low over the next few months.

(The fact that I will have one to sell as soon as my 70-200 II arrives has absolutely nothing to do with this advice []).

Actually, it seems to be rising a little. The high price of the MK II has allowed retailers to bump the MK Iprice up by $100 and still be a good value compared to the MK II.

That said, I have owned 3 of the F2.8 IS lenses, plus one non IS (the sharpest). All three were good, but not worth the weight and the cost. My f/4 L IS really was sharper, and easier to carry around. I use primes for low light, but there are lots of good uses for the zoom, sports, weddings, etc where changing focal lengths is highly desirable.

There are test chart images of the MK II up now at The digital Picture, and it is stunningly sharp, particularly at 200mm. CA's are also very low. As word gets around, and users start buying them. maybe used prices for the MK I will drop, but new ones have not dropped at all.

The price of the mark I will only drop if demand for it drops (economics). There seems to be a large demand for reduced price mark I's because of the release of the mark II. That is contrary to the economics needed to drive down the price of something.

I think a little patience is necessary in order to benefit from a price drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle
    You should pick up a 70-200 I used. I think the prices on the used market will be low over the next few months.

Indeed. A MkI 70-200mm f/2.8 IS just showed up on my local CL for $1350...

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    A MkI 70-200mm f/2.8 IS just showed up on my local CL for $1350...
    Your local CL is chock full of goodies but everytime I check mine it's nothing but overpriced garbarge []

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson

...nothing but overpriced garbage

LOL! There's plenty of that here, too (although up here the locals aren't big on the letter 'R', so they would call it gaaaaaahbage). EF-S 18-55mm IS lenses for $130, EF 28-135mm IS lenses for $350 (same as new on Amazon), or how about an XTi for $500?!? (That post says, "Serious Buyers Only" - as if!)

But, it's a pretty active board (well over 100 listings per day in Boston, more if I include the 5-6 other CLs within a 90 minute drive), so there are some good deals to be found if you look. On the other hand, the temptation is hard to resist... I've bought two lenses that way, both L-series primes in excellent condition for >40% less than new cost. But, I'm not sure I'm ready to shell out over $1K on any used lens - I passed on a (another) recent opportunity to pick up a used 100-400mm for $1250, and instead ordered a new one this week.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

...EF-S 18-55mm IS lenses for $130, EF 28-135mm IS lenses for $350 (same as new on Amazon), or how about an XTi for $500?!? (That post says, "Serious Buyers Only" - as if!)
    Now that's more like it! It looks like you copy and pasted from the Philadelphia CL :-) Maybe I should look more often, but I haven'tcome across any good dealsyet. I am very envious of both of your prime scores (200 f/2.8 & 300 f/4). I still can't get over the deal you got on that 300!!!