Thread: question about highlights issue

question about highlights issue

so this is way too simple for all of you photography buffs, but I need help and I hope you can provide me with some advice...

I have this cute bulldog, he is pure white and when I take pictures of him highlights get blown out easily. I am still learning, so go easy on me....give me some advice how to do it right...

and talk to me like I am five [:$]

as I said...still learning

Re: question about highlights issue

dial in a stop or two of negative exposure compensation

turn on highlight tone priority

Heya

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    and talk to me like I am five [img]/emoticons/emotion-10.gif[/img]

hihi yeah sometimes it gets a bit too technical around here [:P]

Indeed highlight tone priority could be helpfull, but of course this could be done in post-processing right?

What also could be of help is:

Option 1:shoot a picture and turn on the exposure warning on your display. This way you can see where your pictures lose information due to overexposure. With the first picture in mind you could change your settings so it won't happen again. In other words, when you review the picture, the white info-less parts of the photo begin to blink.

Option 2: Change your lightmetering. You probably use matrix/full picture lighmetering. Try spotmetering or partial metering and see what it does. I personally always use the full photo matrix metering, but for for instance with macroshots I always turn it to spotmetering.

Hope this helps!

Jan

Heya

Quote Originally Posted by BES
    and talk to me like I am five [img]/emoticons/emotion-10.gif[/img]

hihi yeah sometimes it gets a bit too technical around here [:P]

Indeed highlight tone priority could be helpfull, but of course this could be done in post-processing right?

What also could be of help is:

Option 1:shoot a picture and turn on the exposure warning on your display. This way you can see where your pictures lose information due to overexposure. With the first picture in mind you could change your settings so it won't happen again. In other words, when you review the picture, the white info-less parts of the photo begin to blink.

Option 2: Change your lightmetering. You probably use matrix/full picture lighmetering. Try spotmetering or partial metering and see what it does. I personally always use the full photo matrix metering, but for for instance with macroshots I always turn it to spotmetering.

Hope this helps!

Jan