Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shutter Count 5D?

Re: Shutter Count 5D?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    I still feel, if you don't want full frame you haven't tried full frame

Ha! well that is certainly how I'm feeling.

Supposedly a crop sensor uses the "best part" of the glass. While that may be true, to see these lenses perform when they're on a body they were designed for...well it's pretty amazing is all I can say right now. (I really can't even imagine what the MKII is like if the original is this good!)

Unfortunately it's been raining all day in NYC so I haven't even been out shooting yet. I am so psyched to try some of my fav sunrise 40D spots...I haven't put it on a tripod yet, used the mirror lockup, a remote shutter release... !!!!..."psyched" is the word...!!!!

They say the best camera is the one you have with you - I have a new permanent appendage..!

Quote Originally Posted by canoli

In any case - man oh man what a difference from the 40D! Naturally there's good and bad but the good is so good...the VF is shockingly bright and the 17-40 - I nearly dropped the camera when I saw what 17mm really looks like.

Congrats on the new purchase. FF is a whole new world to enjoy for someone coming from ASP-C. I did the same thing. Bought a used 5D in the fall of 08 and absolutely love it. The clean low light stuff is what takes it over the top for me. I'm actually thinking about selling my 40D. There's no Langley Air Power Over Hampton Roads this year. That's the last time I used my 40. It makes my 70-200 a bit longer.

Enjoy!!

Ya - I hear ya Chuck. I go out to the U.S. Open (tennis) every year and the 40D / 70-200 gives me really nice reach everywhere but the stadium. I want to keep it for those 2 weeks when a 1.6x is a real advantage.

I wonder if those 2 weeks will be the only time I use the 40D anymore...

Not sure how relevant this is any more, but a while back I found an open source plug in for the Canon software that would read shutter actuations from any Canon camera (I think). It worked successfully with my XSi/450D. Unfortunately, I don't have that software installed here at work, so I'll have to post the name and link when I get home. (if I can remember)

Found it! The program is called EOSInfo and will work on any DIGIC III or DIGIC IV Camera (except the 500D). It's free, and you can get it here;

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by JamesBong

Found it! The program is called EOSInfo and will work on any DIGIC III or DIGIC IV Camera (except the 500D). It's free, and you can get it here;

http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

Did you have to look hard to find it? All I had to do was scroll up and read the first post in this very thread! []

The OP is asking about an original 5D, which has a DIGIC II processor - the program you (and the OP) provide the link for doesn't work with the original 5D.

Thanks for trying, though!

The answer is unchanged - there is no way for a use to determine shutter count on an original 5D, only Canon can do that.

DOH! I blame lack of caffiene causing skimming!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ya - I hear ya Chuck

LOL!! I hear ya loud and clear!! Like I said I'm thinking of selling. Pulling the trigger is a different story.

ah yes...to actually let it go, that's a whole 'nother story...

What can you (we?) get for a 40D nowadays? B&H had one when I was there the other day and it was $850 I think - very clean, like new. So I assume that's fair market value for an excellent-condition 40D...?

B&H had one when I was there the other day and it was $850 I think - very clean, like new. So I assume that's fair market value for an excellent-condition 40D...

Sorry, but I wouldn't think so - not when a brand new 50D is just $90 more (at Amazon.com, for example). Check prices on fredmiranda.com's buy&sell board.

There's a 'great condition' 40D on my local Craigslist right now for $550.