Thread: What are the best settings for an airshow with a 7D

What are the best settings for an airshow with a 7D

Hey everybody,

last year I went to this national airshow. There where a lot of static shows, but of course there was a very good action-show throughout the entire day.

Last year I shot with my "old and sold" 50D and 70-200 f4L and this image is a good example of the majority of the results:

Now that I've sold my 50D and 70-200 and bought a 5D2 with 105mm of maximum field of view I decided to rent the 100-400 L.

Since I was already renting I also decided to go with the 7D. To test it out, but also due to the crop-factor and highly specced action-settings [:P]

Now I only get to pick it up nearby the airforce-base so I don't have a lot of time to test settings etc. So here's my question:

What settings would you recommend me to use? Since my 5D doesn't offer zones etc.

Of course I will also bring my 5D that day for the wider shots and static show and I will bring a brother to help me photograph [A]

Thanks in advance!

Jan

Re: What are the best settings for an airshow with a 7D

Hey Jan

This was my set up at 2 air shows this year. I must have seen at least 15 people with the 100-400.

I don't think you can go wrong with zones, I used AF Expansion just because it was set there from shooting football.I use Servo and highest frame rate.Even at 8 frames I miss the the Thunderbirds crosses.Since everything is left to right, for the most part, and pretty far away I don't think any of the exotic focusing custom settings are necessary. C.Fn III #1 you can adjust servo tracking sensitivity. Mine is set to fast It may not matter due to the distance you are. #3 might be good to set to Continuous Track, incase someones head passes in front of the lens. #9 will turn on all the AF points. AWB will kill you FPS so set it accordingly.

My rule of thumb, if I'm shooting jets Av @f/5.6 (under DLA) ISO 400, IS off. For props I use Tv 1/400 (+-) ISO 100 and IS mode 2. ISO 100 usually will keep the f/stop around the DLA point. You could use a ND filter, but I don't think it will be necessary.

Go to iTunes and download the latest episode of Photofocus, released earlier this week. Scott Bourne and Scott Kelly talk about shooting races at Indy, but much of this will apply to air shows as the hit on briefly. It's a really good listen. good luck at the show. erno.

man i tpye like carp. it's Scott Kelby on the show.

Thanks for replying guys!

Quote Originally Posted by erno james
    Go to iTunes and download the latest episode of Photofocus, released earlier this week. Scott Bourne and Scott Kelly talk about shooting races at Indy, but much of this will apply to air shows as the hit on briefly. It's a really good listen. good luck at the show. erno.

Well the problem isn't really in taking the pictures (I shot a lot of action over the past year), but more in the technical part of the AF system of the 7D which is totally new to me. Thanks anyway and I will take a look at the show you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    This was my set up at 2 air shows this year. I must have seen at least 15 people with the 100-400.
    <div>

I know, the 100-400 is the ultimate airshow-lens if you ask me. On such days it's hard to spot another type of lens [:P]

I don't think you can go wrong with zones, I used AF Expansion just because it was set there from shooting football
    <div>

Is that even used? Isn't that feature for &lt;f2.8 lenses only?

I use Servo and highest frame rate.Even at 8 frames I miss the the Thunderbirds crosses
    <div>

No doubt! I think I can get trough a day with my 32GB card, have never worked with such a frame-rate though. It might fill up faster than I anticipate. I'm impressed already and haven't even seen it [:P]

Since everything is left to right, for the most part, and pretty far away I don't think any of the exotic focusing custom settings are necessary
    <div>

True that and probably for the giant 5 plane "explosions" I'll use my 5d with 24-105...

C.Fn III #1 you can adjust servo tracking sensitivity. Mine is set to fast It may not matter due to the distance you are.#3 might be good to set to Continuous Track, incase someones head passes in front of the lens.#9 will turn on all the AF points.
    <div>

I'm gonna study a bit on that part, a total new world for me.

AWB will kill you FPS so set it accordingly.
    <div>

Really? Due to metering? Never experienced that. My WB is on auto pretty much all time. Have to read into that one as well then.

My rule of thumb, if I'm shooting jets Av @f/5.6 (under DLA) ISO 400, IS off. For props I use Tv 1/400 (+-) ISO 100 and IS mode 2. ISO 100 usually will keep the f/stop around the DLA point. You could use a ND filter, but I don't think it will be necessary.
    <div>

Sounds pretty much like what I use. Don't have a ND filter, haven't figured out a good reason to buy it for [:P]Thanks a lot!![Y]

Jan
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

canon news on this website has answers for you.

I'll take a look, thanks!