Thread: New 5DII+24-70f/2.8...Best Wife Ever? I think so (quick question about the battery)

New 5DII+24-70f/2.8...Best Wife Ever? I think so (quick question about the battery)

Just came home from the camera shop with a brand new 5DII after my wife convinced me I needed it.

Say what?!?

It's true. I recently bought a used 24-70L used from BH, but have really been feeling it's limitations on my old Rebel XT. I was thinking about picking up a used 5DI, but she convinced me to just go for it and get the 5DII. Still a bit in shock.

<meta charset="utf-8" />
    Can't wait to start shooting!!!

So now I'm waiting for the battery to charge.

Quick question: I know that with cell phone batteries, they tell you to charge them for 12+ hours the first go round to ensure the best battery life. Is this the same kind of deal, or am I okay to start shooting once it's fully charged?

Re: New 5DII+24-70f/2.8...Best Wife Ever? I think so (quick question about the battery)

I think you should let it charge overnight....but I'm just sadistic like that. ;-)

Re: New 5DII+24-70f/2.8...Best Wife Ever? I think so (quick question about the battery)

When I got my 5d I didn't even charge the battery. It had about 70% out of the box and I shot with that. Battery life has been as advertised since. No need to charge 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by realityinabox

Just came home from the camera shop with a brand new 5DII after my wife convinced me I needed it.

Say what?!?

Never heard that one before around here [:P] Anyway enjoy it!!

And no it's a Li-Ion battery so it doesn't need a full-charge at first time. Charging is the same every time, so enjoy it as fast as you can. I did the same [A] I believe it's only needed by the old nickel-based batteries.

Still a bit in shock

Give her a big hug and don't forget her the next few days and you might get more of these presents later on []

Quote Originally Posted by Sheiky
    Give her a big hug and don't forget her the next few days and you might get more of these presents later on [img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]

I forgot to mention that she got a Nikon D90 at the same time (she refuses to switch over []. Guess I'm still a bit in shock at the price tag; I get buyer's remorse after big purchases, let alone two big purchases.

Definitely takes some nice shots. Very impressed at the high iso's...

but she convinced me to just go for it and get the 5DII.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Want to trade?

LOL
    Mark

Say what?!?

Wow! I stayed single because I was sure a woman like this didn't exist.

Quick question: I know that with cell phone batteries, they tell you to charge them for 12+ hours the first go round to ensure the best battery life. Is this the same kind of deal, or am I okay to start shooting once it's fully charged?

The battery will stop charging when it is full. My 5DII battery did have power, I assumed it was due the fact they just came from the factory (got mine when the were first released) and didn't have a chance to drain.

Jealous! That's all I have to say...

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

When I got my 5d I didn't even charge the battery. It had about 70% out of the box and I shot with that. Battery life has been as advertised since. No need to charge 12 hours.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Lucky duck. Both of my (refurbished) 7D bodies came with batteries that were DAAD (dead as a doornail). Camera wouldn't turn on at all.

I'd just shoot, but I'm also the kind of guy who marks each battery with its purchase date, adds more batteries over time, and tries to space out the purchases so the batteries don't all "get old" on me at the same time.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Say what?!?

Wow! I stayed single because I was sure a woman like this didn't exist.

[Z]Get's back into dating []