Thread: New 24" IPS Panel...

New 24" IPS Panel...

Ok, just pulled the trigger on a Dell U2410 IPS Panel, and I was wondering if I should be purchasing a calibration device for said monitor. Lately I've been somewhat fustrated of the output of images betweenmy existing panel (17")and the printed image.

Lol, the best I can achieve on my current panelis a resolution of 1024x768 and the color settings are not the best either.

I've performed some research on the inter-tubes and it seems to be a coin toss between "yey and ney"....there's a surprise...lol! Apparently this new panel is calibrated at the factory and a certificate isincluded.

Anyone out there have any recommendations/opinions of said new panel and if a calibration device such as the <span id="lblManufacturer"]ColorVision <span id="lblDescription"]Spyder 3 Pro/Elitemay berequired?

In typical fashion, I appreciate the responses...

Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Re: New 24" IPS Panel...

Hey mate,

I've got the same monitor (excellent choice by the way). They come calibrated to Adobe RGB colour space however as has been mentioned a bit lately in some threads, most printing places use sRGB colour space so you may need to calibrate.

I use the Spyder 3 express with my Dell u2401 and get good results.

cheers, ben
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Quote Originally Posted by btaylor

I use the Spyder 3 express
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Same. i've had pretty good results with the Spyder 3 Express. I use mine for calibrating my monitor for video purposes but for what I need it to do I have 0 complaints.

I have that same panel. Working on it right now and have never been happier with any other monitor. Coming from 1024x768 to 1900x1200 you are prolly gonna have no idea what to do with all of that real estate. I am sure you will enjoy it. Are you upgrading your computer too? or is that not an oldie goldie yet?

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro

I'm surprised you found many "no don't bother" out there. I think you pretty much have to calibrate your monitor (and your printer and your scanner) if you want consistent colors across your output media. Starting from the LCD on your camera body to the monitor to the final print or web .jpg. I guess it's like everything else...[8-|], it all depends on what you want, what you need.

I use EyeOne display2 from xrite and I like it - it does what it's supposed to. It was about $200. It's easy to use - a wizard walks you through the process, and if you have 1 monitor it's a snap. If you're running multiple monitors it's not exactly a straightforward process. But there is a workaround that's not too bad in XP.

I've heard good things about Spyder too, and there are a bunch more I'm sure you know. I recommend you get something, anything. I think you'll be happy you did.