Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggested gear for panoramas?

Suggested gear for panoramas?

Hi all,

I have been recently enjoying making panoramic shots using the Photoshop Panorama feature. So far I have just been taking the multiple pictures needed for a panorama while hand holding the camera (and panning horizontally as necessary). Is there a piece of gear that can help make that process a bit more reliable? There's nothing worse than a very nice large image with a corner missing because I didn't move far enough to the right when shooting the last "row".

I know about gigapan, and it does look like a neat solution, but I just don't want to spend $900 on it (I need to largest one). There also seem to be tripod heads but I don't know where to start (I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB with a 3-way head).

If someone could point me to the right direction it'd be great!

Thanks,

Tony

Re: Suggested gear for panoramas?

Gigapan rasters, so you can get a panorama with multiple 'rows'. If you just want one row - horizontal panning only - your existing 3-way head will do the trick, since you can unlock just the horizontal motion. One other possible addition would be an L-bracket, so you can take horizontal panos in portrait orientation without getting too far off your nodal point.

More expensive options that still come in short of the dSLR Gigapan model include QTVR heads like the Manfrotto 303SPH or the more reasonably-priced Nodal Ninja.

Here's some relevant info on the nodal point.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    If you just want one row - horizontal panning only - your existing 3-way head will do the trick, since you can unlock just the horizontal motion.

True. I assume I have to make sure the camera + tripod are correctly leveled too... I haven't tried this yet, but you're right, I should.

One other possible addition would be an L-bracket, so you can take horizontal panos in portrait orientation without getting too far off your nodal point.

Yeah, I've done lots of panoramas with the camera in portrait orientation as I can get a bit more resolution that way.

More expensive options that still come in short of the dSLR Gigapan model include QTVR heads like the Manfrotto 303SPH or the more reasonably-priced Nodal Ninja.

The Manfrotto costs more than I would like to spend on this, I'll look into the Nodal Ninja. Thanks. Will something like that be more effective over simply using the 3-way head + an L-bracket (sorry for the amateur questions; I'm just not familiar with this stuff)?

Here's some relevant info on the nodal point.

Thanks, I will have a look.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Printezis
    I assume I have to make sure the camera + tripod are correctly leveled too... I haven't tried this yet, but you're right, I should.

Yep - my 7D has a built-in electronic level, but I also have a 2-axis hotshoe bubble level (this one, but there are other versions).

Will something like that be more effective over simply using the 3-way head + an L-bracket (sorry for the amateur questions; I'm just not familiar with this stuff)?

It really depends on the lens you're using, and where that lens' nodal point is in relation to the rotation point of the tripod head. If they are close, you probably won't notice any p<span>arallax (if there is nothing in the foreground, you won't notice it either). However, most of the time they are not close, and often it's desirable to include some close elements in a pano for perspective.

As the article I linked points out, a macro rail is a great way to get the nodal point of your lens over the rotation point of the head - especially if you shoot macro, it's like a two-for-one solution.

But, the 'problem' can be subtle, so I'd suggest trying it with just your current head (landscape orientation), and see if you like the results.

but I also have a 2-axis hotshoe bubble level (this one, but there are other versions).

Yep, I have two of those; I did get a cheaper version though.

But, the 'problem' can be subtle, so I'd suggest trying it with just your current head (landscape orientation), and see if you like the results.

Yeah, will do when I get an opportunity. Are there any L-brackets you can recommend BTW?

Tony

Good Evening Tony &amp; John:

Tony, John's advise is excellent and way beyond what I could offer you. I might have some additional information that may be of some minor interest. You can tell me later if you so choose. On the Really Right Stuff web site they have advise on a fair number of photography subjects. Of course they are touting that they have the equipment to answer each one of the subjects at hand. They do have one on panoramas, http://reallyrightstuff.com/pano/index.html . I thought you and any other interested folks might like to read more about it and hoped that it possible could be interesting in addition to providing specific advise.

Let me know what you think.

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden" /><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Would you explain the process for making multiple row panoramas?

I use CS3 Automate/Photomerge

Is there another step to making multiple rows?

Hi iND:

Check out that link to Really Right stuff about panoramas, they address both single and multiple rows. Hope that helps some. Best of luck

Godspeed

Wayne

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"]</input><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden" />
    <div id="refHTML"]</div>

Are there any L-brackets you can recommend BTW?

Hi Tony,

They are all pretty much the same in terms of the main function, so since you have a Manfrotto head and presumably the RC2 plates, you might want to look at the Manfrotto L-bracket (aka Manfrotto 341) first - it has two integrated RC2 plates.

The other quality offerings (Really Right Stuff, Kirk) are compatible with Arca-Swiss heads, not Manfrotto. The advantages of those brackets are that they are a custom fit for your camera (different brackets for different bodies, with and without grips) - that's great if you are using them with a flash or tripod for portrait work, where the custom fit makes them less bulky and easier to work with. But if your main use is panoramas - a more painstaking process which won't be significantly hampered by a bulkier L-bracket - then the Manfrotto version would probably do fine, and at $75 is not terribly expensive for a photography accessory.

--John

Ps. I sent you a friend request (upper right of the window), as you are one of the few 'locals' for me - I work in Boston and live in Metrowest...

Wayne,

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide
    John's advise is excellent

It always is!

Quote Originally Posted by Iguide
    On the Really Right Stuff

Thanks for the extra feedback. I added that web site to my homework for the next few evenings. :-)

Tony