Thread: BlackRapid + Manfrotto

BlackRapid + Manfrotto

Anyone using BlackRapid straps and Manfrotto supports might be interested to know that BlackRapid is finally coming out with their FastenR for Manfrotto RC2 plates, supposedly planned for an October release. No more swapping out strap connector for tripod connector!

Re: BlackRapid + Manfrotto

I have just been attaching the strap to the Manfrotto support plate myself, no need to swap.

I considered that, but the thumbscrew on the RC2 plate is not designed to be load-bearing (the D-ring ends only extend a short distance into the lug). Maybe if I was carrying a Rebel with a kit lens, I wouldn't be as concerned - but my gripped 7D with 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II comes close to 7 pounds, and I'm not prepared to trust the Manfrotto D-ring with that much weight (or replacement cost if the ring fails and sends $4K worth of gear crashing to the pavement!).

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    ...the RC2 plate is not designed to be load-bearing...the D-ring ends only extend a short distance into the lug...I'm not prepared to trust the Manfrotto D-ring...
    After posting this, I did some googling and read several forum posts along the lines of, "I use the BlackRapid strap attached to a Manfrotto QR plateto carry my camera, and I've never had a problem."

So, when I came home I decided to test my assertions, and see if I have been putting up with the inconvenience of frequently swapping the FasterR-2 for the RC2 plate and back in a baseless fear of D-ring failure.

Here's the result of a strong pull at the proper angle. I used a small carabiner similar to the ConnectR-2 as a 'lever'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RC2+separated.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	248

Here's a look at the hole into which the end of the D-ring 'wire' is inserted. The conical shape indicates the holes are simply drilled into the side of the lug.

Name:	RC2+hole.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	249

Finally, here's a shot of the D-ring set back on top of the lug, showing the relatively small distance the wire penetrates into the lug. The measured distance of overlap is less than 1 mm.

Name:	RC2+overlap.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	250

So, that's a pictorial example of why I am completely unwilling to hang my camera by the Manfrotto RC2 D-ring. The RC2 plate that I separated was pretty easy to repair, requiring only two pairs of pliers and 30 seconds of time. If it had separated like that while my camera and lens were dangling from it, I think a little more than pliers would have been required, not to mention more time and a lot more money.

If anyone currently using a BlackRapid (or similar) strap connected to the Manfrotto RC2 plate to carry their camera is still willing to do so after seeing this, that's your choice...but personally, I wouldn't recommend it, and I think anyone who is doing so is taking a big risk...

Personally, I'm looking forward to the FastenR-T1!

--John
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 12-14-2011 at 02:47 PM.

John, You have a phenomenal talent for explaining things. If you can't tell-----Show em. Very effective demonstration of why you shouldn't do what I have done. Thank goodness (for me)a change in tripods forced a change in ball heads which forced a change in plates that actually have a screw hole for theses devices; Otherwise I would still be hanging$5k worth of gear from a $2D ring. Why do we do the things we do [*-)]

Bob

Bob

Thanks, Bob. It

I never thought about the d-ring not being able to take the load of the camera and lens once until you brought it up. Thanks for pointing that out. That

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    BlackRapid's customer service responded that the new FastenR-T1 should be available in late October.

Seems they released it a little early. The FasterR-Ti is in stock and available right now.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fr-t1/

EDIT: I just ordered four of them. []
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 02-01-2012 at 03:00 PM.