Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Moon: How do I do this?

Full Moon: How do I do this?

With the full moon in focus, how can I bring detail out in the tree? Several problems here, the moon back lights the picture. DOF of the 500mm is limiting.

Here is the info: 5D Mark II, 500mm F4L, F32.0, 1/6 second, ISO 200 shot in manual mode.

I know I could use two pictures and merge them in photoshop. But I want to do it with the camera and lens. I was thinking maybe some sort of quick flash.

Your comments and help welcome

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/CommunityServer-Components-UserFiles/00-00-00-47-09/FullMoon.jpg[/img]

Re: Full Moon: How do I do this?

Flash certainly would allow for some detail in the tree. In fact, just a hint of an off camera flash coming from the back would look like the moon was illuminating the tree.

I think you

Perhaps mess with gelling the flash as well...a blueish gel might look more realistic.

Thanks for the response everyone. Looks like I will be doing some research on lighting.

There was a guy here to wrote up a decent little introduction to off-camera flash. I can't remember his name (we was kind of a jerk), but you can find the first thread here.

Thanks Sean

man that guy is a jerk, lol jk

Now that I think about it, I don

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    Now that I think about it, I don't believe you'll be able to see much detail in the tree even if you were to throw some flash in there. Why? Depth of field. You can see the tree is quite fuzzy as is, so throwing some light on it won't really bring out much detail (it'll still be quite out-of-focus at 500mm when focused on the moon). The flash might provide a bit more interest, though, as the outline of the tree would stand out a bit more.

That was the second part of my problem that I have to figure out, I was about 50 yards from the tree when I took this. Ireally wanta large moon in the photo, which of course the 500mm will provide. But I may have to do this with a shorter lens to get the DOF. I knew I could solve this problem, either moving further from the tree, changing lens or both.

I should have posted the full picture and not the crop version. The tree outline looks kind of like a giant hand grabing the moon.