Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help!

I need help!

So I

Re: I need help!

Welcome to the world of DSLR photography. Once the shutterbug bites, there

Quote Originally Posted by Kristinaskoro

I was going to buy the canon t2i but then I heard mixed things about it and that I was primarily for video and I don't care about video
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Where did you hear that it was primarily for video, maybe from someone who bought it for that reason? What kind of mixed things are you hearing about it? When it comes to the first and foremost purpose of a DSLR I've been hearing nothing but good things about the T1i and T2i.

As already mention get your hand on some camera bodies and see how they feel. Not just how you can grip it but get a feel for the buttons and dials you will be using while you are shooting. Can you use those functions without having to look away from the view finder? And more importantly does it fit within your budget?

Every now and then you can find a good deal on DSLR's at stores like Best Buy, but as already mentioned, Don't ask them for advise. The only information they can give you is the same that you will get off the web. They will try to bs their way through it thought. LOL.

BTW, I recommend browsing through the Photography Gear forums.

Hi, and welcome to the TDP forums!

I wanted my pictures to turn out like this

At the risk of being too blunt, I should ask what is it about the pictures you posted that you like? To me, these look like they were quite likely taken with point and shoot cameras...

Both of the first two images have a very deep depth of field, the first one especially. By that, I mean the the subjects in front are reasonably in focus, as are the people further back on the pier, as are the trees and houses way in the background. That screams P&amp;S camera, since only with sensors that small is such a deep depth of field easily possible. The third image uses a flash, and it's on-camera and direct - it's a shot possible with either a P&amp;S or a dSLR. The shots are of subjects holding still and/or posing for the shot, so again, quite possible with a P&amp;S.

Typical reasons for wanting a dSLR instead of a P&amp;S would include:
    • 'portrait' shots - those generally have a thin depth of field, where the subject is in focus and the isolated with the background blurred out; a large sensor is required to achieve the thin depth of field
    • action shots - P&amp;S cameras focus slowly and have long shutter lag (time from pressing the button until the picture is actually taken), dSLRs are much faster
    • interchangeable lenses - can use dedicated macro lenses, large telephoto lenses, etc.

The following two shots are ones that in my opinion could not be taken with a P&amp;S camera, and illustrate the first two points above.

Disadvantages of a dSLR are that they are large, heavy, and expensive. You can't exactly fit one in your pocket. Personally, I have two dSLR bodies and lots of lenses, but there are plenty of times when it's just not convenient to bring all that, and for those times I have a Canon PowerShot S95 - a very nice P&amp;S camera.

If you decide that you do want/need a dSLR, the T2i is a fine place to start, as is a Nikon D3100.

would you guys suggest the nikon d5000 or the nikon d3100 and whyy?

and does the nikon d5000 have field of depth

would you guys suggest the nikon d5000 or the nikon d3100 and whyy?

and does the nikon d5000 have field of depth
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

It's Depth Of Field, or DOF, and that is a product of exposure, point of focus, metering, and how you use your camera lenses aperture (aka. f/stop).

I can see that you're not very familiar with using a DSLR or digital photography in general. I highly recommend reading up on the subject and learn as much as you can before you invest good money on a DSLR that might end up being an expensive Point and Shoot Camera. I am sure that is not what you want.

Although there are automated modes to help you operate the camera which are like using a point and shoot, you will want to learn about exposures, ISO, Shutter Speed, Metering modes, F/stop(Focal Ratio), White Balance etc. It won't happen quickly, but over time you will learn and get more familiar with the camera and start producing great images on your own accord.

Here are a couple good sites to start:
    http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/

Once you get bitten by the bug then you'll be looking at various lenses for various uses, and then software for photo editing and processing. Good Luck, and more importantly, Have Fun!

Kristinaskoro,

In my opinion you can

You do not need a DSLR to take photos like you posted, a nice Canon G12 will do this.

For a beginner, the Nikon DSLR

Hi Kristina,

Just wanted to echo a lot of what has already been said. Think of a camera as a tool and select a camera much the same way you

I think you should go down to a local store and check out the various cameras from the various manufacturers. Buy the one you like to hold and like to use. The brand itself is not that important - you