Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used vs. Refurbished @ Adorama

Used vs. Refurbished @ Adorama

Hi All -

I am looking at a used Canonlens at Adorama and I am not sure if it is the way to go. I would be saving $50 if I go that route. It's not a substantial savings but if it gets me pretty much a "like new" lens it's not bad. It is rated E+ (May have slight wear but only visible under close up inspection.)

What is the difference between buying "USED" from one store or "REFURBSIHED" from another? Is it the same? Does it go thru the same inspection & repair process?

Anyone ever have a problem returning something within the warranty period thatthey bought used if it didn't meet their standards.

Is it safer to deal with one store over another with regard to used items?

I never bought used from a store before and am just debating if the $50 savings is worth the risk or is the risk minimal.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Denise

Re: Used vs. Refurbished @ Adorama

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    What is the difference between buying "USED" from one store or "REFURBSIHED" from another

You can send an item in to Adorama to sell. They wil inspect and Gradeit and offer you an amount. If you decline, they pay for shipping the item back I believe. If the price is good enough for you, they'll send you money and will then post it up on their site to be sold as a "used item". Refurbished units go right to the Canon shop and is run through tests to check performance and specifications. I've bought the bulk of my items from them as Refurbs. The only thing I bought "new"just happened to be the only broke item too, which had to be sent to factory to be serviced under warranty. As far as buying "used" items, I'd watch the grade it gives you. I think "vg" is the lowest I'd even concider. You shouldn't have any problems with "E+" stuff. They don't give a big break on price for E+ either. Any chance of this lens going on rebate soon? That might shrink the price gap between the new and used one.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Thank you for the info. So used is basically "as is" with other than inspection, no work is done on them prior to resale.

As far as rebates go, I

Thank you for the info. So used is basically "as is" with other than inspection, no work is done on them prior to resale.

As far as rebates go, I'm not sure but I would think all are out that are going to be until well after Christmas or until possibly springtime.

Denise

There was a thread a few weeks ago where someone asked what the difference between Used and Refurbished. I suppose you would have to look at whether it was Refurbished from Canon or just says Refurbished. But in my opinion both are used.

I have never bought from Adorama. B&H though may sell the item "as is" but they have a return policy. I bought my 300mm F2.8L used from B&H it had a 10 rating and saved $700 over new. They told me before it shipped if I didn't like it I could return it. The "Return Policy" is what is important. I wouldn't hesitate buying another used from B&H because I have had real good luck with them and returns.

BUT if you go used I would check whatever you buy out real close so to find any problems during the return period.

Wow! $700 savings, I would definitely give it a shot! That is why I am on the fence with this $50 savings. Granted, it would pay for most of the price of a filter but not sure if it is enough incentive. Plus if I ever wanted to re-sell it (which I tend to do often [:P]), I'd probablylose about $50 saying it is second-hand.

I couldn

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk
    I suppose you would have to look at whether it was Refurbished from Canon or just says Refurbished.

As far as I know, all the "refurbished" at Adorama are from Canon. I have purchased some from them and as a rule if you removed the little gold sticker stating "refurbished" the items would be hard to tell from new.

I addition, Adorama gives you the same one year warranty as Canon. I had to use it once (in month eleven no less) and it went very smooth, no fuss no muss. If it were me, for $50, I would go with the refurbished over the used. If you were to have an issue at say, six months, your only cost is to ship the item back for exchange or refund. On used, you own it and as such in addition to the shipping, you also pay for the repair.

As far as rebates go, I'm not sure but I would
    think all are out that are going to be until well after Christmas or
    until possibly springtime.

Most likely true. If you want if for Christmas it is a huge gamble waiting for a new rebate. If the lens is a good savings versus the new version, I think you will be pleased with an Adorama refurbished.

Good luck,

Chris

Thanks everyone!

I ended up just buying new @ B&H. I should have my new Canon 135mm f/2.0 on Tuesday While I was there, I thru in a B+W #106 ND filter.

Denise

I am soooo jealous []

Mark

I ended up just buying new @ B&H.

A better choice, I think. I stay away from used lenses unless they are in excellent condition and priced at least 30% less than a new copy.

I should have my new Canon 135mm f/2.0 on Tuesday

Congrats - it's an awesome lens!

The 135mm f/2L is on my short list, as I like the 85mm focal length on my 7D and 135mm would be equivalent on the 5DII. I'm trying to decide between that lens and the 35mm f/1.4L.... Actually, I recently bought DxO Optics Pro, and I just checked and notice that the EF 135mm f/2L is not one of the lenses supported in combination with the 5DII or 7D (not that it should need much in the way of corrections, but still...).

Enjoy it when it arrives - looking forward to some images!