Thread: Pet Portraits: First attempt

Pet Portraits: First attempt

Cold and 60 MPH windswouldn't make for a much of a photo outing today, but I still had the "need" to pick up the camera; so, since everyone else likes to post thier pets, I thought I would give a little "pet portraiture" a try------All I can say is "god love those who do this for a living". Anyway, my adventure begins with a black felt backdrop purchased at a local cloth store and a PVC backdrop stand carefully positioned over the dining room table. 1 580 EX II on a stand with 48" umbrella,(high left, about 45 degrees) triggered with a pocket wizard. And of course camera, tripod and radio shutter trigger. After about the 3rd flash, one cat scratched and hissed at the wife and the other cat was just plain un-cooperative---Now I have one upset wife and two unwilling cats to work with----But after about 2 hours of pushing the patience limit switch,I think I finally got a few keepers: Your comments and critiques are appreciated:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4428.IMG_5F00_0885.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/7484.IMG_5F00_0921.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/6443.IMG_5F00_0924.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/0435.IMG_5F00_0936.jpg[/img]

I know, I should have removed the collar on the first one, but didn't think about until I had popped off a few shots.

Anyway, Thanks for looking,

Bob

Bob

Re: Pet Portraits: First attempt

Really great for a first attempt, Bob! You did a VERY nice job with the lighting and your cats are beautiful!

I don

Very nice Bob. Excellent shots

Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Good work Bob, love the eyes on the first and the focus on the second.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

The cat without the collar is indeed looking a little dangerous!

I

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Really great for a first attempt, Bob! You did a VERY nice job with the lighting and your cats are beautiful!

I don't know if black felt was a good choice though. I think you are going to end up with a lot of cat hair over your background in no time! I myself have the same problem trying to figure out what is best to use with one white dog, one black and one buff.

Also, don't be surprised if your cats start to run for cover whenever you have the camera in hand! My dogs don't even want to look at me if they know they are going to get the photo taken. In fact, it's pretty much how my whole family reacts now!

Denise
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thanks Denise---Actually, I did the felt on purpose, and for the two dollars for two yardsI paid for it on clearance---the hair really isn't an issue--Infact, I have even washed it once---its actually pretty tolerant of that kind of abuse--plus, black is really easy to hide hair, dust and other artifact on---and very easy to clone out any problem spots. My whole back drop setup cost less than $10. As far as the cats go--well, as soon as I walked away, they were both back up on the back drop---of course,when i would re-enter the room, they ran. Like I said, I have a new found respect for those photogs that do this for a living.

Thanks for the response

Bob
    Bob

@ Wally and Steve,

Thanks
    Bob

@ Paul, Thanks for the review and tip on the collar---I hadn
    Bob

Very well done , Bob! I