My wife and Iare going to a wedding this Saturday. I've know this for months. Yesterday my wife was talking to the bride, and I am not sure how, but the topic of the wedding photographer came up. Apparently, they are not having a professional photographer, but were going to rely on some friends who have "good cameras." At which point my wife volunters me. Last night I hear this and that there will be 4-5 of us "friends with good cameras." No problem. This morning I have a list of group pictures the bride would like. [:|]

So, first thing today, I ordered a back-up battery for my 7D as I've been making due with one. That will arrive on Friday. I don't really have a "wedding" setup, but I don't currently have the money to make any significant additions and thereare supposed to be 3-4 other people "with good cameras." And, I've already started looking up wedding threads here on TDP (very helpful).

I am wondering if I can get help on getting the most out of my current kit. Most specifically, my 580 EXII. I got it just after Christmas and have played with it some, but by no means am proficient with it. It is an evening wedding, so a flash is going to be needed, especially with my EFS 15-85.

So, a few quick basic questions:
  • My wife thinks the 580 EXII is too bright the times I've taken pictures of her with it. She thinks I should just use my on camera flash. Are there any tricks to not blinding people? I've already triedangling it andbouncing it off the ceiling, but she says that is still too bright.
  • What's the general flashset up people use for weddings? Do you manually control the flash?Automated TTL?
  • I've had some trouble in getting it to work in Av mode (likely what I'll use). In fact, thus far in Tv and Av mode the camera seems to act like the flash isn't even on in setting exposure even though the flash goes off. For example, in Av mode, the camera will give me a 2 sec exposure even though the flash goes off. I've assumed I am missing something obvious, but haven't taken the time to figure out what. So, thus far, I've used the flash mostly in P or M.
  • Sto-fen or no sto-fen? I bought one with the flash and haven't taken it out of the packaging. I've read that it drains the batteries (I have 4 eneloops) much faster. If I understand it correctly, it won't do me any good unless I have surfaces to bounce off of close by. BTW, how close is "close?"
  • Should I buy back up eneloops? Are alkaline batteries that bad? It sounds like others here like the rechargableduracell's. Would those charge in the eneloop charger? (I did say basic questions [])

I am sure I'll have more questions and I continue to prepare. Ultimately, I think I will just do what I can as I am not a Pro. But, hey, this could be fun.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brant