Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the wedding photographer?

Am I the wedding photographer?

My wife and Iare going to a wedding this Saturday. I've know this for months. Yesterday my wife was talking to the bride, and I am not sure how, but the topic of the wedding photographer came up. Apparently, they are not having a professional photographer, but were going to rely on some friends who have "good cameras." At which point my wife volunters me. Last night I hear this and that there will be 4-5 of us "friends with good cameras." No problem. This morning I have a list of group pictures the bride would like. [:|]

So, first thing today, I ordered a back-up battery for my 7D as I've been making due with one. That will arrive on Friday. I don't really have a "wedding" setup, but I don't currently have the money to make any significant additions and thereare supposed to be 3-4 other people "with good cameras." And, I've already started looking up wedding threads here on TDP (very helpful).

I am wondering if I can get help on getting the most out of my current kit. Most specifically, my 580 EXII. I got it just after Christmas and have played with it some, but by no means am proficient with it. It is an evening wedding, so a flash is going to be needed, especially with my EFS 15-85.

So, a few quick basic questions:
    • My wife thinks the 580 EXII is too bright the times I've taken pictures of her with it. She thinks I should just use my on camera flash. Are there any tricks to not blinding people? I've already triedangling it andbouncing it off the ceiling, but she says that is still too bright.
    • What's the general flashset up people use for weddings? Do you manually control the flash?Automated TTL?
    • I've had some trouble in getting it to work in Av mode (likely what I'll use). In fact, thus far in Tv and Av mode the camera seems to act like the flash isn't even on in setting exposure even though the flash goes off. For example, in Av mode, the camera will give me a 2 sec exposure even though the flash goes off. I've assumed I am missing something obvious, but haven't taken the time to figure out what. So, thus far, I've used the flash mostly in P or M.
    • Sto-fen or no sto-fen? I bought one with the flash and haven't taken it out of the packaging. I've read that it drains the batteries (I have 4 eneloops) much faster. If I understand it correctly, it won't do me any good unless I have surfaces to bounce off of close by. BTW, how close is "close?"
    • Should I buy back up eneloops? Are alkaline batteries that bad? It sounds like others here like the rechargableduracell's. Would those charge in the eneloop charger? (I did say basic questions [])

I am sure I'll have more questions and I continue to prepare. Ultimately, I think I will just do what I can as I am not a Pro. But, hey, this could be fun.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brant

Re: Am I the wedding photographer?

Brant - hi

This may help, it may not, i just read your post and i'm stressed already, calm down, deep breaths; if i were you i would;

1) - Let the other 2-3 people "with good cameras" do the worrying, the people getting married chose not to pay for a pro so to shoot the day, so it was their choice, they get what they get!

2) - The only teccy question i would dare to try to answer is the first one, dont use the built in flash.

3) - Keep in the background and look for those candid shots, stay back and zoom in, line ups of aunts and uncles are fine, but everyone wants to see the shots they missed when the eyes were on the line up, the best photos are the ones no-one were expecting to see, capture them and they will thank you for it.

here is an example of what i mean, a mates wedding, expensive pro shooter, great shots, but this was the brides favourite, taken by some random guest with a compact, poor original which i photoshopped a bit for them 'cus they loved it, now pride of place in their house, not because of the shot, or what i did, but because it captured the day for them and they didnt line up and fake smile for it.

Sorry i didnt answer your questions but i just felt you were in full panic mode []

Good luck, dont forget to post the shots.....(I'm sure the people out there who know will help on the actual questions you asked)

Brant

I am not going to offer any lighting advice because I would be in about the same boat as you if someone asked.

But I see you have two options:

1, You have been asked to do this for free, and hey, it will give you a chance to practice and play so that could be fun. After all if you mess up, no one lost any money on it.

2, If you want out you have several outs.

a. Your first out is that yes obviously the 580ex is very harsh on camera, you can tune it down and such but, your wife does not know this. You just need to tell her that she will need to help you during the wedding and carry a monopod with your 580ex off camera so you can get the best lighting. This should deter her.

b. Your second out is that obviously you need to buy a large amount of new equipment. Two things can happen here, your wife says "never mind" or you end up going in debt and owning a lot of new fun equipment (debts not good, but new equipment though...)

Good Luck and Have Fun

Rick

I like what HD said. Especially the "b" part. If your gonna do anything, stick with the stealth/candid photo stuff and let the others handle the stock shots. No stress like Ade said. Do they plan on putting cameras on all table for everyone to take shots with? That
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

Hi Brant, and good luck!

I can answer a couple of specific questions. To tone down the flash while still using TTL, apply flash exposure compensation. That

Brant,

This is how my wife and I got started in our part time business but I was the only friend with a good camera. A Bronica at the time.

To properly light the subjects often means a bright flash. Most of the people will not even realize a flash going off.

I use a Sto-fen omni bounce even with nothing to bounce it off of. This image is outside with the flash head at 45 degree:

[img]/resized-image.ashx/__size/600x800/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/12/8267.Image_2D00_1274.JPG[/img]

Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
    Lens: EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Focal Length: 105mm
    Aperture: f/4.5
    Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)
    ISO equiv: 800
    Metering Mode: Spot
    Exposure: Manual
    Exposure Mode: Manual
    Flash Fired: Yes (Auto, return light detected)

I set the camera to manual and let the ETTL set the flash duration with flash exposure bias at zero.

I use Energizer rechargeables. 2 sets will get me through most weddings. This last wedding took three sets for the 1280 shots I took. I get better life from energizers than duracells.

I also agree with Ade, stay back and zoom in as much as possible.

Just have fun and play, try different things and don't be afraid to make some mistakes.

Mark
    Mark

As you already know, there is a lot to shooting really nice looking weddings. The upside is the bride and groom don

Everyone,

Thanks for all of the advice. I wish I had time to respond individually, but I have to be at work early today for an all day training workshop.

I am not so much worried about this as I know I need to be prepared and close some holes that I've had in my kit for awhile (back up batteries [:$]). I think I will coordinate with the other "friends with good cameras" and figure out who is going to do what. But if at all possible, I like the idea of stepping back and focusing in candid shots or perhaps other angles I see them missing.

Again, thanks for the tips. I'll practice with them tonight and tomorrow night, which may general a few more questions. []

Brant

You don
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I always say, if you