Thread: Android or I-phone..... Apple or PC

Android or I-phone..... Apple or PC

Ok so it is time to update the cell phone, not entirely thrilled w/ the laptop, looking at the 5dIII in late summer - let the furor die down and perhaps a couple of bug fixes...

There seems to be several android applications/developers that are really moving quickly on the USB/Wifi connectivty front.

My wife and daughter of the 4s, I looked at the Apple applications and found apps that required the camera be connected to the computer to remotely manage.

Any thoughts on connecting the phone to the camera for the more convenient/larger/higher res/two people looking at the live view image (one with the camera and the other with the phone). Or is this just so much gadgetry?

Now the real computing side of the task.

I did the beta of CS6 w/ some of the movie features on my HP laptop that isn't exactly rigged (i5 2510 I think w/ 6 gig & shared video - it was $700 at costco so I am not expecting much and was acquired before the photo habit reoccurred) for movies nor hi res stills and when done putting together the clips, intros, transitions, and audio track.... I went to get lunch at the restaurant across town and returned just when it was finishing.

I think I have 3k for a computer budget ( I already have a 23" display) - I could a little higher if it made a real difference.

Thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Mike
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

DSLR Controller will do what you want, I believe, assuming 1) you go with Andriod and 2) the phone can serve as a USB host controller (see compatibility list on site). I even bought the program full well knowing my current phone is incompatibile with the intent that my future upgrade phone will have the USB host controller functionality.

I've gone to an iphone from android as my financee and I are becoming more streamlined with entertainment related stuff, and has more apple. Triggertrap makes an app that has a load of different triggers and operations for the camera to be controlled via the ipod, it just requires a dongle purchase as well. App plus cable is arons 20 or 30 usd.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    DSLR Controller will do what you want, I believe, assuming 1) you go with Andriod and 2) the phone can serve as a USB host controller (see compatibility list on site). I even bought the program full well knowing my current phone is incompatibile with the intent that my future upgrade phone will have the USB host controller functionality.
    Sean,
    I haven't gotten this one yet, but I have a Galaxy SII. Am I good to go? I'd love to be able to control and remotely preview shots on my 40D without having to drag out my laptop. I could try it tonight with the SuperMoon!

Go to the site and check their compatibile devices.