Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apple Aperture 3.3 - Has anyone tried?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I haven't upgraded yet, as I'm still running Snow Leopard. I'll probably upgrade to Mountain Lion shortly after it's released, then upgrade Aperture.

Another way to revert back to the original is to just right click on the photo and select reset all adjustments.

John (Neuro), Super Duper is great, but you should consider running time machine too, so if you ever crash in between cloned backups, you'll be covered. I don't notice any performance hit on my processing power at all (Mac Pro desktop quad core, 14GB RAM though), and if you do, then you can just pause it in the middle of a backup and resume it when your done. The updated backups also occur very quickly, since they're only incremental.

Rich
    Last edited by Richard Lane; 06-14-2012 at 01:42 AM.

Thanks, Rich. I think I'd set up Time Machine if I get a Time Capsule router at some point. As it is, our 3 Macs are all portables, so I'd have to plug them into the HDDs for a Time Machine backup anyway - and if I'm doing that, a full clone is just as easy (and takes only 15-20 min, since that's incremental as well). I run backups every couple of days for me, every couple of weeks for my wife (she's almost exclusively email/web now, since we had kids and she stepped down from her faculty position as a Professor of Anatomy & Physiology to stay home with them).

Time capsule would certainly be more convenient.

I'm not sure what router you have, but you may be able to just use a USB or networked ethernet hard drive and use Time Machine wirelessly via your current router?

I know it used to work with the Airport Extreme Router and I think other non-apple routers. Originally the feature wasn't there, but then after a lot of complaints, I recall that the feature you're referring to was added. Here is a link in case you're interested.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=814762

Rich

I agree with Rich, the hourly backups are very convenient and don't affect the current work much (well, on my 2007 MacBook they do if I have Aperture open). The hard drive connected to the router should work, but before you invest in a hard drive enclosure or an external drive or a new router, I would recommend a NAS. Better performance and easy to setup these days.

Arnt