Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 10-22mm VS Sigma 8-16mm

Canon 10-22mm VS Sigma 8-16mm

Before i posted this I did run a search on the forum but didn't find anything hence i am posting this.

I would like a wide angle lens that i can use for landscapes but i would like to take photos of group of people indoors at parties.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM Lens

Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Len

I have a 50mm f1.8 and a 18-200mm lens already.

Thanks

I have a 10-22 and have been quite pleased with it. My intention was for landscapes but so far only used it 2 weekends at car shows
    Link to thread with sample pictures
    I think the edge would go to the canon for indoor group shots with the f3.5. -- BUT I have not used my lens for that so no samples

I was debating the same thing in February. I went with the Canon 10-22 for the simple fact that you can mount a filter holder on the front. I was also playing around with 4x6 graduated ND filters at the time and while you could hand hold them in front of the sigma, you could mount the filter holder on the Canon. Since I was using hard edge ND filters more and more rather than soft edges, lining up the hard edge becomes more important, thus I wanted the ability to mount the filter holder. Another advantage is that the Canon is lighter. Since this was intended to be a secondary lens, it is that much less weight in my pack.

I am still occasionally tempted by the 8 mm range of the Sigma, but 10 mm is still awfully wide.

Here's a picture or two:

@ 11 mm

Golden Gate Bridge-5243 by kayaker72, on Flickr

@ 10 mm

Small-4363 by kayaker72, on Flickr
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 06-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.

thanks for the replies.

As far as i know the sigma lens comes with a filter holder that can take filters that makes the choice very hard.

It does, but from Bryan's review:

Because this lens has a strongly-convex front element and an integrated hood, normal screw-on filters are not usable on this lens - with one exception. Along with a normal 72mm lens cap, an aluminum sleeve that friction-fits with a felt-like material around the lens hood is provided. This sleeve has 72mm filter threads available - to hold the cap on or to hold a standard screw-in filter. The only problem is that physical vignetting with the sleeve in place is noticeable even at 16mm through f/8 with no filter in place. At 8mm? Forget about it. This is what 8mm f/16 looks like on an APS-C body with the sleeve in place and no filter installed:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

It is about a third of the way down.....

I bought the sigma for a trip to Asheville, NC and then sold it a month or so later, which was my plan all along (ultimately cheaper than renting).

The lens is nice and sharp and well built, but it's a specialty lens. You need large subjects at relatively close distances for it to give good results (think Biltmore House up close). A mountain range at 8mm, for example, will end up looking like a very distant range unless you are shooting up close.

It's not a great lens for group shots. While distortion is nicely controlled for such a wide lens, you'd need to be at, say, 14mm minimum for group shots to keep the corners manageable -- and it's a slow lens, making it tougher to use indoors.

Here's an indoor shot at 1/15s at 16mm.

Here's a shot at 8mm. I was right up next to the statue.

Another at 8mm. This was an incredible tight spot. Note the distortion at the corners, but still pretty good considering how wide it is.

Having experienced the Sigma, if I were to buy a super wide to keep, I'd probably go for the canon mostly because 22mm on the long end is more useful.

Good luck!
    Brian

Thank you all for the input.
    from all posts i can gather that Canon 10-22 would be the way to go.
    Cheers

The 10-22 is a great lens, but not in low light. I have found it doesn't work that well for parties. 10mm really isn't very flattering for people, so you would probably need to zoom in a bit, and then you have to make due with a smaller aperture. Don't get me wrong. I like the lense, you just might be disappointed with it's party potential. Have you considered the tokina 11-16?

Another vote for the 10-22mm. It's a lot of fun to use!

You could use it with a flash indoors at 22mm on a crop body, but it's not the greatest for people! Keep in mind that the people that are closest to the lens will appear wider than usual. So, if people are in a straight line it's not as bad, however if people are in a semi-circle or arc (more common at a party), then whomever or whatever body part is closet to the lens will look larger or distorted. Also, if people are sitting.., their knees or legs will be in front of them and therefore closer to the lens, so they will look like they have larger legs.

Just sayin'

Rich

Hey Brant, I'm really diggin' that Golden Gate Bridge shot, with the softness of the weeds blowing in the wind, against the sharp steel contrast of the bridge.

It's one of the best I've seen!

Rich