Thread: Workflow: image import

Workflow: image import

I'm looking for ideas and insight into managing the import of image files from memory card to computer. I currently stick the card in the reader, let Windows recognize the card, make a new folder on an external HD to store the images, and do a Windows copy to bring the files into that folder.

I'm looking for something better. As my activities grow, I find myself managing files from multiple cameras more often, and it's starting to get out of hand. I'm looking for a tool that would help with the file copy process, with features like batch rename, time adjustment (so I can fix up for an errant clock on one camera). I'm getting better at switching memory cards between different shoots, but sometimes I forget and sometimes it's an all-day gig but there are obvious breaks in the action. I experimented briefly with Downloader Pro and ImageIngester Pro, but probably didn't know them well enough to really take advantage of their features and see why I might want one of them.

Comments from the crowd?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Re: Workflow: image import

Try evaluation version of Adobe Lightroom 2 and check out if it could optimize your workflow.

From my experience I do not switch memorycards between camerabodies, period. When I've been shooting as 2nd hand, we have always sync the time on ower camerabodies to have a reasonable image-view in postprocessing.

I did the trial with Adobe Lightroom 2.2 and went back to Digital Photo Professional and then on the CS4.

I'm pretty sure I have the worst workflow in theprofessional world, but I'm really comfortable with the look of the final product using the tools I know. I shoot RAW, import to DPP and fix any white balance and exposure issues and thengo on to CS4 for cropping andspecial touches.

The Zoombrower EX Memory Card Utility works great for me. My XTi CDs didn't have it, but a refurbished 40d I just purchased had it on the included discs.

Bryan references a Java utility in his digital workflow guide. As hard as I tried I could not get it to work on Vista 64.

Good Luck!