Thread: Looking to Upgrade - Lense suggestion please

Lightbulb Looking to Upgrade - Lense suggestion please

A couple years ago I purchased the canon xsi with EFS 18-55mm lense. I have children and we are an active family who enjoys yearly trips to Costa Rica, children play hockey and dance. I would like to expand on my purchase and get a new lense. Preferably one with better zoom, good macro, stable, lightweight and durable yet not going to rob the bank. We head for our vacation in January and I'd love to bring a new lense this time. Not to mention hockey and dance have started! Suggestions please I am not anything close to a photographer (or i wouldnt be asking for advice) but I appreciate a great shot. Thank you!

There are many possibilities, depending on budget and priorities. For kids sports/dance/etc., which are often poorly lit, you might consider a faster lens (one with a wider max aperture). The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS would give you much better IQ, two more stops at 55mm (faster shutter and/or lower ISO), but it's not a cheap lens. The EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS would also give much better IQ, is both wider and longer (great for travel), but no faster. Still...if you're getting pictures of hockey and dance that you're happy with from the 18-55 kit lens, the 15-85mm might be the way to go.

You might also consider a fast prime lens. The 85mm f/1.8 is, IMO, the best value in the Canon lineup in terms of IQ per dollar - great for indoor sports and portraits.

Overall, given your criteria of, "better zoom, good macro, stable, lightweight and durable," I think the EF-S 15-85mm is the way to go. Note that there is also an EF-S 17-85mm - that lens is older, not very good IQ, and I would not recommend it. The 15-85mm lens will give you essentially L-series optical quality (with good but not L-series build quality, and also without L-series cost).