Thread: EOS - M review - Thanks Bryan

EOS - M review - Thanks Bryan

Very much enjoyed the review - and the pics of the M on the 600.

I find that when I use the 70-200 on the T3i I hold the lens more than I hold the camera - very light touch on the camera, even when adjusting settings, etc. Clearly would do the same w/ the M.

Looking at the ISO crops of the 18-55 EF-M versus the 18-55 EF-S it appears the M version has a sharper image profile mid frame and out (comparing the 60d to the M).

Once the Magic Lantern guys get focus peaking on the M, manual focus may be faster and fast enough for all those not quite so fast action shots.

As fun as it looks, I don't think anyone is going to using the M on longer focal length lenses as their primary configuration, I think targeted at the more casual & indoor environments this could indeed be a great jacket pocket/purse camera. Capable of great art, etc, just not it's primary mission.

The 22 f2 pancake actually looks like a pretty darn good lens at f2 compared to either the 20 or 24 EF.

As a second crop body this could compete very much w/ the the Rebel line up for those who have a primary FF body. hmmmm
    Last edited by Busted Knuckles; 12-27-2012 at 11:10 AM.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

I was stumbling around on the net the other day, and some of you may recall I was looking to adapt a couple of Leica lenses to my Canon. The "R" lenses have a register distance to provide space for an adapter of which there are several.

Then I started wondering about the new Canon M and the Leica M lenses..... In reading about the Leica there was reference to the Leica sensor having special microlenses for taking in light at such oblique angles in the corners, etc.

Would not the Canon M have the same need? along with many/any of other mirrorless APC/FF sensored cameras? - would these get in the way when using an adapter to use and EF-S/EF lens?????

Anyone know what the fastest cards the EOS M can handle? I am finding when I fire off a burst it takes quite a while to clear the buffer and I was hoping that a faster card might make the difference. I currently have an extreme III from Sandisk. I purchased it a few years ago when I had an XSi so I'm sure the read/write speed is pretty slow.

Thanks for the help!

Jayson

M2 - preproduction units in testing in the wild, combined with the DPP software.... could be soon? pre christmas???

It might be why there were so many great deals on the M recently... clearing out inventory before the next model arrives.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Agreed, clearing out inventory is the likely explanation. I also buy into the idea that it was a shrewd move on Canon's behalf to both get people to buy into the "M" system/prevent people from buying into another manufacturer's system and create any level of buzz about the M2.

I could be wrong, but I don't think many of the people who jumped on the M bandwagon will go for the M2 at a much higher price tag.

Dave

I didn't get the original M because of the autofocus speed and no difference in imaging, etc. I am very interested in the M2 if has the dual pixel sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    I could be wrong, but I don't think many of the people who jumped on the M bandwagon will go for the M2 at a much higher price tag.

Dave
    I imagine it will depend upon what is released and at what price. But I've seen a lot of posts where a view finder (EVF), the dual pixel AF (DPAF) technology and maybe a headphone jack would definitely interest some people. I've seen a few references of people converting their current EOS-M to IR if the EOS-M2 is what they want.

But mostly, I am impressed that with the sale most of the sentiment I've seen about the EOS-M went from negative to positive or at least interest. That has to help sales of the EOS-M2.

Speaking for myself, I went from not interested in it at all, as I was looking at different offerings by Sony and Olympus vs the S100/S110, to owning the EOS-M and am willing to at least consider an upgrade, depending on details and price. So I went from potentially owning another manufacturers system to a reasonable likelihood of eventually upgrading. The view finder, faster AF, the DPAF and ergonomic features at a reasonable price would at least get me thinking about it. I have been using the EOS-M for video as people seem more comfortable with it pointing at them for awhile compared to a dSLR. I do like continuous AF in video mode but it is slow. So the DPAF would get me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I imagine it will depend upon what is released and at what price. But I've seen a lot of posts where a view finder (EVF), the dual pixel AF (DPAF) technology and maybe a headphone jack would definitely interest some people. I've seen a few references of people converting their current EOS-M to IR if the EOS-M2 is what they want.
    I'm one of the latter - if I like the M2 offering, I'll convert my current M to an IR camera, it's just about ideal for that use.

Personally, I would like dual pixel AF, but I don't really want an EVF - I'm assuming that will increase the size of the body, and I'd rather have it as small as possible.