Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question re: Getty Images on Flickr

Question Question re: Getty Images on Flickr

When I signed up for Flickr, I saw that you had the option of making your images available to Getty Images. I searched online and found people complaining about the terms, so I just opted out.

Now, I've got a request from Getty about a specific set of images they wish the license... except the only controls on Flickr are "No Getty", and "Give Getty exclusive rights to everything in my photostream, and any similar photo I made produce whether it's on Flickr or not". Non-similar images outside of Flickr aren't theirs. I imagine the similar image clause is to avoid someone taking two shots, giving Getty rights to one, and selling the other elsewhere, but there is no definition of similar. Perhaps they expect exclusive rights to my daughter and dogs.

Considering these options, I'm leaning heavily towards ignoring their request.. but I figured I'd ask. Has anybody here had good worthwhile dealings with Getty via Flickr?

That is awesome, David! Congrats!! I would most definitely find out more information before declining the offer from them!

Re: Question re: Getty Images on Flickr

Could you possibly move your more personal/family pics to a new address and let Getty have full access to the old one? And yes, I would be a little hesitant to let them have all files. I know a preacher dude that got a free family portrait. The catch was the photographer was giving one of these companies access to all their shots. Next thing you know, the family pics are being used all over the net for various reasons/businesses. He had no idea how the pictures would be used and would never do another "free" family portrait again.
    Words get in the way of what I meant to say.

I like tagging any personal photos as "only family can see this photo". That helps protect against anyone not wanting their pic as a public item.

Dave

So, I've started to follow up on this, and it's looking like it's different from the usual Flickr checkbox to let Getty access your images... I had to make an account with Getty, and provide tax information, and they're going to want model release forms... I'm wondering when they'll notice all my flickr images are only 900 pixels tall... Of course, I can provide them with full-res images, but I'm wondering if I'll be forced into updating to flickr pro to do it.

In an invited member only forum (of 76000 users, so I'm not THAT special) somebody mentioned selling an image for several hundred dollars. That's what convinced me to look deeper into this.

I still have to read the fine print, and I need to figure out if I need to apply for a US tax ID number thingy... I left that blank, and they accepted it for now.

The contract looks fine, they only have rights to images I submit and they accept, and they're requesting higher-res images directly from me... So far this seems good.

sounds promising. Congratulations!
    Arnt

btw I just checked my settings, and I have different options. One of them says
    "
    Enable the "Request to License" badge on my photos AND allow Getty Images editors to invite my photos"which to my understanding does not grant rights automatically. Iy means Getty can invite my pictures, and anyone else can
    request to license them through Getty.
    Another option includes only the first half of the option above, without displaying the request link, third option is none.

I wonder if it is different for pro accounts, or non-US countries?
    Arnt

The last time I looked at the settings was several years ago, so it's very likely it changed. I guess it's fine that they can request to license pictures, and I can say yes, or no. Not sure why Flickr won't allow you to change that per image, but it's not the end of the world.

Getty chose 5 shots of Bella from over a 2 year period, so somebody did some digging through my photostream. They may have gone further back, if there was a further back to go through. Because you can't control WHO they sell to, or HOW the images are used, we'll likely not give them rights to shots of Bella.

I'm going to have to start shooting pictures of things, instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    Getty chose 5 shots of Bella from over a 2 year period,

That is funny! My suspicion was that they were looking to get the pictures of her! You have so many of her with really great expressions that I think could be used for various advertising purposes. I understand why they are looking. Congrats on getting some recognition though.

Dave.
    5D mark III, 50D, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4L ​IS, 28 f1.8, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8 Macro