Thread: Pelican 1650 alternative foam inserts?

Pelican 1650 alternative foam inserts?

I bought a Pelican 1650 without foam. Its basically the size of a large suitcase, with dimensions at 62" total so it is allowed as checked baggage without extra fees, albeit heavy empty.

I figured I could get foam elsewhere, aftermarket. Does anyone know what the alternatives are?

I didn't buy foam as I know it will likely be a multi-usage case, so the Pelican foam would be wasteful. I was curious what other creative ideas people have had for this sort of thing.
    Last edited by UmiKaibutsu; 04-24-2013 at 12:15 AM.

I have the foam and have modified it.
    I also use egg crate foam to make some modifications.

But what may be unique is that I have at times taken all the foam out and packed in my fully loaded back pack, so I can just pull it out and roll, and stuff it back in for the rough trip home.

I personally use the 1510 because it is the largest size for airline carry on.
    It fits under the seat incase you don't get an overhead space and I have taken it on domestic and International with no problems.

I have never liked checking my camera equipment, due to potential loss and rough bag handling.

Thanks
    Last edited by iND; 04-25-2013 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UmiKaibutsu View Post
    I bought a Pelican 1650 without foam. Its basically the size of a large suitcase, with dimensions at 62" total so it is allowed as checked baggage without extra fees, albeit heavy empty.

I figured I could get foam elsewhere, aftermarket. Does anyone know what the alternatives are?

I didn't buy foam as I know it will likely be a multi-usage case, so the Pelican foam would be wasteful. I was curious what other creative ideas people have had for this sort of thing.
    I have the Pelican 1600. At Hobbie Lobby I purchase the thickest foam they have. It is only half as thick as the case is deep so I double layer it. Glue it together. I lay my gear down the way I want it and draw an outline with a sharpie. Using a sharp knife I cut out the areas for each piece.

IMG_0766 by clemmb60, on Flickr
    Mark

Pelican 1650 alternative foam inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by iND View Post
    But what may be unique is that I have at times taken all the foam out and packed in my fully loaded back pack, so I can just pull it out and roll, and stuff it back in for the rough trip home.
    Not unique. That's exactly what I do for airline travel - a Flipside 300 or Flipside 400 AW inside a Pelican Storm im2500 carry on hard case.

http://community.the-digital-picture...2162#post62162

Looking at that linked thread, I may have even given you the idea...

A hard case is great for travel, but foam or dividers leave you no easy way to transport your gear around when you get to your destination.

Sometimes instead of the backpack, I take gear in a Lowepro Toploader Pro and a couple of lens cases.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 04-25-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Ok, I like these ideas. I also read online about using expanding foam and wax paper to divide the foam and wrap items, so it fits perfectly after it expands. One could make different inserts for different gear configurations. I think I would saran wrap the inside of the pelican and wrap the gear, then do wax paper with maybe some oil, etc. then pack and spray.

The idea of putting my camera backpacks in the Pelican is great. I have these two bags:
    Tamrac Expedition 5X Camera Bag
    KATA Bumblebee-222 UltraLight Camera Bag

The tamrac 5x is rugged and small, itll hold a big lens (70-200 with hood and attached to dslr+grip) and a lot more. It would actually hold that config plus two 70-200 f2.8 L IS and two 600exrt's and a small 15" laptop and its packed tight.
    The Kata is wild and will hold a boat load of things, the idea behind it was the waste attachment and the aluminum frame would put the weight on my waste. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Backpack.html

I have a very, very, very bad neck/back injury so I am thinking of getting a 3rd carrying case: Clik Elite
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Bag_Black.html

I also looked at this
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Pack_Clik.html

and a lowpro toploader but it starts looking heavy

Sometimes I simply cannot carry the camera. The tamrac is my default bag, the Kata is a bit large for around town so the Clik Elite is looking like a good option because it carries on the waste.

I think the Pelican will hold the Kata + the Tamrac inside it and various odds and ends during transport. Its also supposed to serve as a means to get gear to shoots locally. I also picked up a cheap interfit 36" long carry case for simple/fast around town carry of light stands and things.

The Kata Bumblebee 222 was $399. i like the color theme. The price is a bit much.

The only way I can carry my camera without amplifying my neck pain severely is to wrap the aftermarket (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Release.html) neck strap around my wrist 3 times, then I pop my hand inwards and wrap the left side of the strap under the battery grip and i essentially have hands free, but I also can use it over my shoulder. I've been in situations where I shake hands with the camera there and it's sorta funny how affixed it is to my hand. I also got one of those long shoulder straps with a 1/4" attachment but it's got limited usefulness for me, plus it seems to put the camera in harms way sometimes.

I figure the Clik Elite is going to be less obnoxious than the Tamrac 5x Expedition but carry the same gear as usual.

The gear that must be carried is as follows.
    5D MK3 with grip + 24-70 f2.8 LII *all the time
    1 pair ankle socks, 1 underwear, 1 tennis shorts, 1 tshirt * 3 days a week for physical therapy
    Canon 600exrt and/or Sigma 70-200 f2.8 non IS *only sometimes

The PT clothes take the same space as a 70-200 and requires wearing some form of athletic type shoe those days or carrying my minimalist running shoes in the bag (merrell tough glove leather running shoes) but I don't like carrying them so I wear supportive athletic shoes on those days, generally Merrell or even Teva I usually don't take the speedlight, the 70-200 plus the PT clothes as it gets packed in the tamrac. I think the Clik will be more constrictive.

So... I wonder if anyone else has a requirement like this and the gear weight can absolutely not be on the shoulders, it must all be on the waist. fyi, I have a neck brace, I am wearing it today, its not pleasant. ::shakes fist at the sky::

I ended up getting the Lowpro 200AWG, it wraps around the waste. I doubt I would put all 3 of these in the pelican though. The tamrac is usually a carryon, or sometimes the Kata (silver one)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130430_000734.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	1824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130430_000850.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	1825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130430_001302.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	181.4 KB