Thread: OnOne Vs. ZoomBrowser

OnOne Vs. ZoomBrowser

I know I haven't posted here in awhile but I came across something tonight that I would really like input on and others may be interested in seeing this if they are thinking of getting the OnOne Perfect Suite 8 that is being released in a week or so. I have the previous version and have always liked their product so I have pre-ordered the newer version but now I'm not so sure I made a wise choice.

I just downloaded the Beta version of OneOne Perfect Suite 8 and this is a comparison of a photo straight out of camera shown in their browser on the left and Canon's ZoomBrowser on the right.

Photo was taken with the 6d at ISO 25600. The camera is fantastic for high ISO but look how much noise the OnOne browser shows compared to ZoomBrowser. Also, in ACR (not shown), the photo shows no noise at all and better contrast and color than in ZoomBrowser. A larger photo can be seen on flickr.

Thank you for viewing and commenting!

Denise

OnOne vs ZoomBrowser by Denise Trocio ( www.dtrociophotography.com), on Flickr

Hmmm, maybe. I just got the camera and haven't set up much in it as of yet and barely know my way around it. I see it is set at a High ISO speed NR of "Standard", so you're saying that maybe the Beta program doesn't read that setting but ZoomBrowser and ACR does? Sure seems like that may be the case. Hopefully, it would just be the Beta version that would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725 View Post
    I just got the camera and haven't set up much in it as of yet and barely know my way around it. .
    Congrats on going full frame. You will love it
    Mark

Thanks, Mark! I took advantage of the awesome refurb deal Canon had going last week.

Congrats on the 6D! Each RAW file has an embedded copy of the JPG, and I'm fairly sure that's what ZoomBrowser uses. I can scan through images insanely fast with ZB. The embedded JPG will have all the white balance, picture styles, noise reduction, etc all applied, so it will look pretty good.

ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) doesn't use the camera settings and will have it's own ideas on white balance, color tones, and how to handle noise. I find ACR does a better job with noise than DPP (and thus better than ZoomBrower's JPG), though I haven't tried the latest DPP... or the latest ACR for that matter. Sometimes I find ACR's interpretations of colors questionable, but for the most part ACR is good.

I have no idea what OnOne shows you, but it also will convert the image in it's own way. Perhaps by default it has no noise reduction enabled at all. The OnOne is probably being more honest with what your camera actually captured, and is intended to be a specialty tool to tweak the conversion process to your liking. ZoomBrowser and ACR on the other hand, have default 'make it pretty' settings applied, which can be tweaked. Perhaps OnOne is aiming for a speedy preview (like Corel's AfterShot Pro), and will look better after full conversion. Perhaps noise is it's downfall (like Corel's AfterShot Pro).

Take a few days to play with it and let us know how it goes.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Thank you, David. I did email the photo to OnOne tech support to get their input. So far, I do not see anything in their suite that would denoise the photograph so their Perfect Suite appears to be not so perfect in this regard. Their program is huge and covers everything else very nicely except for this so we'll see what they have to say.