Thread: Underwater Photography Hints

Underwater Photography Hints

Bryan,

I think you sold short the idea of remaining upside down while underwater. Many scuba divers I've ever dived with will hang out upside down for most of their dive to get their mask close to the object they're viewing and to keep their fins off the reef/silt (to avoid damage and to maintain water clarity). Once you're used to it this is a perfectly fine orientation for shooting pictures from the shrimp's-eye view. Granted it's a bit easier with all the added weight (and bulk) of scuba gear but if you're in at least 10 feet of water there's enough room to keep your feet above your head.

Also, lots of snorkelers swim with weight belts. When I was half the age I am now we used to spear fish on a 100' (30m) deep reef. Because you're not taking air in at pressure you can keep going to depth all day long without fear physiological effects and actually end up with more bottom time for teh day. The only way to have any bottom time at these depths (in addition to being in great shape) is to be over-weighted by a few lbs. There are lots of options for getting back up. If you have enough lung capacity just the expansion out of your lungs into your BCD (inflation vest) could pop you to the surface like a cork. My preferred method was CO2 cartridges that could inflate the BCD when I was ready to ascend (with backup!). Small pony bottles of air were also popular but these aren't for breathing - that's not safe to start doing at depth.

Interesting info, Chad. Thanks for sharing. Would you mind if I added this to the tips page?

Bryan, please feel free to include this information or not as you see fit.

Edit: I'd also like to add that if you're going to suggest people weight themselves snorkeling the smart thing to do is to have a float on your person somewhere that will be more than sufficient to rocket you to the surface should the need arise (something made of hard foam so it doesn't crush and lose buoyancy at depth). Something like a foam vest under the BCD. There's a reason weight belts are very, very easy to strip off - never hesitate to strip it off. Paint the weights bright orange and you can find them later if the visibility is good enough.

So long as the belt is still heavy enough to sink you the extra mass isn't really a problem at depth - it's nothing compared to a steel pressure tank that scuba divers wear.
    Last edited by ChadS; 08-27-2014 at 10:28 PM.