Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extenders 1.4x vs 2.0x

Extenders 1.4x vs 2.0x

Hi all,

I've got the 70-200 F2.8 non IS lens and I'm pretty impressed with the clarity, but not so much the reach. I was looking at getting one of the extenders but can't work out which one. I've been told to get the 1.4 but it might not have the reach I may need, but apparently it's fast to focus and has great image quality. The 2.0 would give me the reach I need but I've been told that the image quality drops considerably and focusing is far slower.

Can I please get your input/advice? They're the same price but quality to me is important even though I'm not even close to being a pro, but I don't want to noticeably "downgrade" my lens quality.

I've been happy with the 1.4 TC, but disappointed with the 2.0x. You are right, the loss of image quality is very noticeable with the 2.0x, and the focusing goes from fabulous at f/2.8 to nearly awful at f/5.6. The 1.4 is a good compromise, with a bit of extra reach and minimal loss of quality and focusing performance.

I'd start by using the imaging tool from TDP. For example, here is the 70-200 non-IS at 200 mm compared to with the 1.4x extender wide open, at at f/8 and with the 2x extender wide open and at f/8.

My quick take on this is that you can use the 1.4x from f/5.6 and up, but with the 2x converter you are limiting yourself to an f/8 lens.

My other thought would be to hold off and save a bit longer. There are a lot of good options if you want more reach at the ~$800-$1k mark depending on if you get a sale or not. The 150-600's (Tamron/Sigma), EF 70-300 L, etc.

Another option in that range is to find a good used Version 1 100-400mm or 400mm f/5.6.....these are both very nice intermediate telephoto lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Hi all,

I've got the 70-200 F2.8 non IS lens and I'm pretty impressed with the clarity, but not so much the reach. I was looking at getting one of the extenders but can't work out which one. I've been told to get the 1.4 but it might not have the reach I may need, but apparently it's fast to focus and has great image quality. The 2.0 would give me the reach I need but I've been told that the image quality drops considerably and focusing is far slower.
    If you NEED this reach you speak of, perhaps you NEED to spend the money on a proper lens to do the job. I really like LensRental's characterization: if you've spent thousands on a lens that has already gathered the light and has it all ready to shine on the sensor, why would you stick something in the way to mess it all up? I tried a 1.4x III on a 600/4 IS II and wasn't overly impressed, even on a decent RRS tripod with Wimberley gimbal head.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    If you NEED this reach you speak of, perhaps you NEED to spend the money on a proper lens to do the job. I really like LensRental's characterization: if you've spent thousands on a lens that has already gathered the light and has it all ready to shine on the sensor, why would you stick something in the way to mess it all up? I tried a 1.4x III on a 600/4 IS II and wasn't overly impressed, even on a decent RRS tripod with Wimberley gimbal head.
    I think the 600 II does very well with the 1.4xIII...

But in the OP's case, I would not put a 2x behind the 70-200/2.8 non-IS.

Well.... I would really recommend the 400 5.6. Light weight etc etc. Great images and the same f stop as if you had the 2x. for not a bunch more dollars perhaps lens authority has one used (sales arm of lens rental).

Stuart had one and I am impressed with it.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Extenders can help expand the use of a lens you already have, but generally are not the answer to focal length issues IMHO...

Dave

Well, I don't really NEED the reach but it'd be handy. I just figured a $500 extender would be better value than a $2800 lens that I wouldn't use too often. There's only bee na few times I've needed the reach so far, but both times were a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Squidy View Post
    Well, I don't really NEED the reach but it'd be handy. I just figured a $500 extender would be better value than a $2800 lens that I wouldn't use too often. There's only bee na few times I've needed the reach so far, but both times were a pain.
    If you're ok with the Gen II extenders I think you could get the 1.4x version for less than $200.

Dave